• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin Mere mystery bird (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
We've just been going through the photos taken at Martin Mere in January (2002)!! - and have been unable to identify this one. I'm sure someone will be able to help!

Attachments

• Mystery2.jpg
    Mystery2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 240
Hi Elisabeth,
the bird turning its head away is a Mergus cucullatus female, clearly with these feathers on the back of the head and those two visible black and white featheres on the back!!!

annie burton said:
guess i should go back to my bird feeders. the sparrows are enough of a challenge for me!

That's exactly the way I feel right now, Annie - I've spent the whole morning trying to ID birds, and haven't done any of the things in the house that I should have done. At least I'm fairly confident that I can decide what any new garden bird is, with several books and a CDrom guide to help me!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back