• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got sketches? (2 Viewers)

I have my fingers crossed that the little Ruby Throat will fly Lenny. You are a very kind person to give your time up to help the birds of North America:t:
I think there should be more people in the world like you Lenny and i love your pictures of the splendid male Ruby-throat, they are my favourite hummers (I think they are everyones favourite to! ;))
Please could you keep us updated on the little Ruby's progress,
Many Thanks...

Delicate and sensitive again Sam, it's an almost oriental style you have. And the bird oozes charm.

Mike

Great work Sam - I'm certain the client will be delighted. Love the foliage and blossom - adds so much to the feel of the piece. Well done.

Can't believe I haven't left any comments on this thread (too busy admiring!) time to actually come and write something I believe! Great work on here Sam, I adore the 'oriental' simplicity and calm in your Great Tit. Simply a beautiful relaxing piece.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Elis, Mike, Tim and Nick :t:
It seemed to take ages to complete this picture! but finally i did it,phew;)
Im to lazy to do backgrounds so i just smudge a bit of pastel and im away..:-O I think (without sounding to big headed commenting on my own artwork) that the combo between the pastel background and the colouring pencils gives the picture a surreal look, i want a unique style ans hope i have achived that.
MANY THANKS GUYS!
(and don't worry about not commenting nick ;))

Your robin is lovely, it's got a very natural pose and some great colour. Just one piece of constructive criticism though; Be careful when inventing branches, twigs and leaves for your bird to sit amongst. Branches are rarely straight and if you draw them that way you can sometimes end up with a bit of a cookie cutter look. Try picking up a couple of fallen bits from the garden, woods or park and taking them home to draw, you'll find that the twists and turns will add a lot more life to your 'supporting cast'. I do like the way you've framed the robin though so well done and let's see some more!

Mike

Your robin is lovely, it's got a very natural pose and some great colour. Just one piece of constructive criticism though; Be careful when inventing branches, twigs and leaves for your bird to sit amongst. Branches are rarely straight and if you draw them that way you can sometimes end up with a bit of a cookie cutter look. Try picking up a couple of fallen bits from the garden, woods or park and taking them home to draw, you'll find that the twists and turns will add a lot more life to your 'supporting cast'. I do like the way you've framed the robin though so well done and let's see some more!

Mike

Top advice Mike. this would really lift this piece, well done on the Robin though:t:, I used to do do alot of birds with not much background
when I was young and it took me ages to start putting them in an environment
but you seem to be doing great .

Yup, the pose of the robin is wonderful. :) And it's great you've drawn it doing something - this tells a story of the bird, whether it be a mom taking a bite to it's babies, or a Mr Robin taking a gift to his Mrs Robin, or just a hungry robin, happy and ready to eat lunch.

Thanks Everyone and thank you Mike for your excellent advice.
I do go a bit crazy (or sometimes dont bother) with backgrounds, my old art teacher always used to tell me off for it. I'll take your advice and try to get the BG to work in harmony with the picture next time.o:)
Many thanks everyone :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back