• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe spp (1 Viewer)

birdbloke

Registered Member
seen today at dawlish at about 1mile distance
sorry about pics but it was the best i could do
thanks

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 202
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 214
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 152
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 169
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 227
I concur Keith, it looks like a red-necked grebe. Its obviously one of the 2 longer necked grebes and appears to have a black cap which would rule out Great Crested.

This is where having a colour vision defect really starts to bug you. So... in the picture the bird has a red neck??? I was working on the picture being black and white.

* Puts head above parapet *

Must admit, my initial impression and one that I can't see any reason to change is that this is a moulting Slavonian Grebe. The shape, particularly the small bill, seems much better for this than the larger species. Slavonian can look remarkably 'Red-necked-like' at this time of year.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
* Puts head above parapet *

Must admit, my initial impression and one that I can't see any reason to change is that this is a moulting Slavonian Grebe. The shape, particularly the small bill, seems much better for this than the larger species. Slavonian can look remarkably 'Red-necked-like' at this time of year.

it could quite possibly be both as there were two or three grebes around at the same time.all diving all the time.definatley slav grebe there but as they were so distant and diving all the time i just kept snapping and decided to check photos out when i got home

Head's got the 'pinched' look of a Slav, and I think RNG would have a larger bill showing some colour? Wouldn't put any money on it, though.

I'd say Slav grebe. There are plenty at Dawlish and I would've thought a Red-necked would have shown some yellow on the bill - even at that distance.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
I'd say Slav grebe. There are plenty at Dawlish and I would've thought a Red-necked would have shown some yellow on the bill - even at that distance.

Darrell

red-necked was first impression but looking through the rest of the pics made me think slav or black-necked. look at those big red eyes!

First impression is Slav....and that's what I think it is. Not fat necked enough for a RNG plus head/bill is wrong.... I guess the hint of summer wear on its neck is misleading, don't forget summer plumage Slavs have Red-necks too!!!

Doh!

Got to say though that it was the thin neck that made me think Red Necked Grebe. I didn't think the smaller grebes necks were that long or thin. Also, I figured the cheeks were too dark for Slav. But what do I know, lol.

Just to help me out, could someone give me some pointers on IDing the less common grebes. I've always had problems with them, especially as they tend to be miles away, out to sea. Is body and neck shape not the best feature to look for?

Thanks, and sorry if this detracts from the original thread!

Jason

Darrell Clegg said:

Darrell

I agree this is a Slavonian Grebe. In addition to the yellow bill base, as Darrell says, I would expect the foreneck to be much more extensive dusky; in addition wp red-necked at distance is a "brown" bird (with paler cheeks) - this is a "grey-and-white" grebe with a small straight bill and white cheeks, thus slavonian.

Alan

J Moss said:
Doh!

Got to say though that it was the thin neck that made me think Red Necked Grebe. I didn't think the smaller grebes necks were that long or thin. Also, I figured the cheeks were too dark for Slav. But what do I know, lol.

Just to help me out, could someone give me some pointers on IDing the less common grebes. I've always had problems with them, especially as they tend to be miles away, out to sea. Is body and neck shape not the best feature to look for?

Thanks, and sorry if this detracts from the original thread!

Jason

Jason, have you got a copy of the Macmillan Guide to Bird Identification? Page 12-15 gives excellent comparisons to RN,Slav and BN grebes.

According to this guide "the simplest way of seperating BN and Slavs is overall shape and amount of black on head" Slav may suggest a mini GC grebe, with low forehead, flat crown and peak at rear of head. The back is also quite flat and rear end tends to taper off into water. BN is a more rounded and fluffier looking bird with a high steeply sloping forehead. The whole shape is strongly suggestive of Little grebe. Slav has a straight bill with light tip, BN's is upturned and black. RN is bigger than Slav, has yellow bill (in juvs) yellow base in winter adult. Much less 'black and white' than the other two. The main confusion is BN and Slav at a distance and/or choppy water! Hope this helps. The Macmillan guide was first published in 1989. It was the last work of the late Laurel Tucker. Its well worth getting hold of a copy. Its the only field guide i always have with me and is my copy is very well worn, Happy Hunting!

Classic ID Thread!

Everyone can see all sorts of clinching features (such as a red neck, which my monitor certainly does not),and its a Red-necked; a few 'I agrees' and then an informed dissenting voice and we're off to a different species, Slavonian :h?:

Looks like a Horned Grebe to me...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back