• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basingstoke & Deane? (1 Viewer)

PinkoPete

Returned to birding in 2007 - after a 29 year brea
I'm a Berkshire Birder but live within a few feet of the Hamphire border. We hear lots about what's happening in the New Forest and on the coast and marshes of southern Hants, but are there good birding spots in the north of the County - particularly the Basingstoke and Deane area?

Any local knowledge would be welcome.

Pete

I've lived in Basingstoke & Deane for almost 10 years and it is generally crap for birding. I go to the coast every weekend! Best of a bad job are the Vyne water meadows N of Basingstoke which is worth a visit and gets waders in spring and especially autumn.

cheers & good luck
alan

Suggest that you have a look at the Hants,Berks, & Surrey Borders thread for stuff in the North of Hants. The only location near Basingstoke I'm familiar with is Vyne Floods which is off the A340 heading towards Tadley from BZ. They occasionally get some interesting stuff there particularly waders at this time of year, I can recall Pec Sand, Spotshank, & a brief Great White Egret being seen amongst others last year. There should be some info on HOS website.

Cheers,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back