• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curious (1 Viewer)

Briggz

Today for the first time I had a chane to compare the ZRS and the ZD2. I have to admnit I was impressed at the difference and to be honest I have no real skills for evaluating optics. To me if it looks good then great.

So how does the ED2 compare to the Nikon SE from a laymans point of view. I understand all of the terms (kind of) like CA, blackout and so forth but for a novice please try and describe the difference.

Now I know good knives and guns so that might give you measure

The difference that ED glass makes can be very subtle to striking depending on the viewing conditions. Bright sunny conditions will make differences more apparent than dull low light conditions. Generally ED glass increases contrast and color saturation, particularly with reds. View in non-ED bins can SOMETIMES look hazy. Blacks can appear washed out or grey and whites may have blue/green "halos".

As a rule roof prism bins tend to be less sharp than porros of equal quality just because it is easier to make a highly polished porro. Roofs can also show a bright spike in the image particularly at night due to the nature of the design.

Bins with mags 8x and lower will benefit less from having ED. 10x and above benefit more.

hope this helps,
Rick

which ED2 do you have? I have the 7x36 ED2. Surprisingly, I find it is as sharp as 8x43 ED and 8.5x EL. Maybe the dielectric coating enhances the resolution too?

I got one of the 7 x 36 ED2 last week as well. Real happy with it but I want to try a porro

got a chance to view through my friend's SE last week. Optically, SE is as good as everyone said. But I just could not get used to the handling with porro. I don't know if other people can easily switch from roof to Porro.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back