• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen 8x & 10x ED's (1 Viewer)

Not sure what Kevin was referencing but try this:

SeyFried, J.W. "Choosing, Using & Repairing Binoculars"

+

helpful info in this thread,

I'v viewed a pair of new roof bins (mid-priced) where one barrel has a graying out issue,
almost 1/3 of right hand side view. (diopter set properly)

what could cause this??

+

helpful info in this thread,

I'v viewed a pair of new roof bins (mid-priced) where one barrel has a graying out issue,
almost 1/3 of right hand side view. (diopter set properly)

what could cause this??

Helo Collinvue,

What are the specifications of the binocular: 8x32?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

+

Wow Pinewood, you are good,:t:,...is was 8x32

Hello Collinvue,

The exit pupil of an 8x32 is not more than 4 mm, and could be less. This means that the objectives, the eyepieces and your eyes have to carefully aligned to see things. Misaligment of all three may cause your problem, which would be most evident in daytime, when you pupil is rather less than 2 mm. Try moving the binocular to see if everything clears up. There is also the possibility of loss of collimation.

I hope that others may add their thoughts.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Misaligment of all three may cause your problem, which would be most evident in daytime, when you pupil is rather less than 2 mm.

Wouldn't daytime viewing make it better, when eye pupil is smallest? It seems when the pupil is larger (in dim light) it would be worse. Or, is my brain thinking backwards again?

marty

Hello Collinvue,

The exit pupil of an 8x32 is not more than 4 mm, and could be less. This means that the objectives, the eyepieces and your eyes have to carefully aligned to see things. Misaligment of all three may cause your problem, which would be most evident in daytime, when you pupil is rather less than 2 mm. Try moving the binocular to see if everything clears up. There is also the possibility of loss of collimation.

I hope that others may add their thoughts.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

+

Hi Arthur,
maybe slightly more noticeable bright conditions, only noticed the 'gray out' on the right side of FOV.
~ Do you feel its more of a exit pupil situation, than lens alignment..?

thank you again,

Brian

edit: I don't mean to hijack this thread, my question is not regarding ZR binoculars,
its simply a FOV discussion.

Last edited:
+

Hi Arthur,
maybe slightly more noticeable bright conditions, only noticed the 'gray out' on the right side of FOV.
~ Do you feel its more of a exit pupil situation, than lens alignment..?

thank you again,

Brian

edit: I don't mean to hijack this thread, my question is not regarding ZR binoculars,
its simply a FOV discussion.

Hello Brian,

I can make suggestions but I cannot diagnose over the web.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back