• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEN ED2 is it worth the few xtra dollars (1 Viewer)

Tedster

is the ZEN ED2 worth spending the xtra dollars on over the ED1's is there that big of improvement on things that one should take in consideration the
ED2's aren't really that much more like its gonna break the bank,but if i don't have to spend $55.00 more i would rather not.......i live in MI........lol

Last edited:
My two cents are that if you're interested in the 8x43 or 10x43 the ED2 is a marginal/imperceptible improvement and I think the ED1 versions are a better deal. If you're looking at the 7x36 format the ED2 incorporates additional improvements that make it well worth the upgrade.

I haven't sampled the ED1's, but from the posts here they may well be a great deal. If you do decide to go ED1, I suggest looking into getting a re-furb pair. One poster here on another thread said he couldn't tell them from brand new out of the box. They're on the Zen Ray site now @ $289; I think that'd be enough to get me to go that way if I didn't already have the ED2's.

marty

I haven't sampled the ED1's, but from the posts here they may well be a great deal. If you do decide to go ED1, I suggest looking into getting a re-furb pair. One poster here on another thread said he couldn't tell them from brand new out of the box. They're on the Zen Ray site now @ $289; I think that'd be enough to get me to go that way if I didn't already have the ED2's.

marty

I think the ed1's are basically being cleared out to generate cash flow for the ed2's.The new model 7x has improvements that are worth the extra cost.The other models are so similar,I don't think you would see a difference.

I.E. he might throw the box into the wall to give it more "authenticity" but I think it's more of a clearance sell.

Never owned a pair of ZEN ED. But after comparing my ED2 7x36 to ZRS, the money is well worthy it. I have money stashed aside for a pair of alpha. Then, I realized that I can just use that money to get a pair of 10x43 ED2 and still have lots of change in the pocket.

Never owned a pair of ZEN ED. But after comparing my ED2 7x36 to ZRS, the money is well worthy it. I have money stashed aside for a pair of alpha. Then, I realized that I can just use that money to get a pair of 10x43 ED2 and still have lots of change in the pocket.

how do you like the 10x43ED2 can you hold the still enough,do you wish you would of got the 8x43 instead or do you hunt alot of open country,the reason i am asking is i ordered a 8x43ED2 my hunting is done in MI. and ohio
kind of mixed i was thinking of the 10x43 but i chose the 8x43

As I posted on another thread, a hunter friend got some ZR Summit 8X42's after a long history of higher power (10-15X), lesser quality bins, and now rejects the idea that hunters need high power. On one of his recent deer hunting trips with one of his friends, I invited him to leave his Summits home, and take my 8X and 10X ED2's to swap between them. Though he's still very happy with the Summit purchase, he did concede that the ED2's had a slight edge over the Summits, but that obvious conclusion was assumed from the start, we were interested in the A/B comparison of 8 & 10X in the field.

The two hunters made a few conclusions. 1): when the light was less than ideal (most of the time on this trip), 8X was preferred for the brighter, sharper image. 2): Unless there was a handy way to steady the bins like propping them up on a branch (they had no tripod or monopod with them), 8X was preferred, as the extra jitter in the 10X tended to obscure whatever extra detail they might afford. 3): It was quicker and easier to find the prey in those "hey!! what was that over there?!" moments with 8X. 4): For long distance views, 1/2 mile or more, 10X were preferred in all but very low light.

In the end, my friend was still an 8X fan. Despite conceding the shortcomings of the 10X, his friend was less convinced, really liked the larger image, and had a hard time deciding which he preferred, but if pressed, would probably choose the 10X.

So, I'd say that leaves the takeaway conclusion in mid-air, as usual. Ted, I'll predict that sooner or later, you'll have two pairs of bins, one of them a 10X, but for now, your choice of 8X is probably wise. When you're ready, an ED3 might become available, and give you an excuse to buy one. Til then, rest easy, be happy |:d|

marty

how do you like the 10x43ED2 can you hold the still enough,do you wish you would of got the 8x43 instead or do you hunt alot of open country,the reason i am asking is i ordered a 8x43ED2 my hunting is done in MI. and ohio

just ordered it yesterday. It should be here this week. If I don't already have a 7x36, I will get 8x43 instead.

As I posted on another thread, a hunter friend got some ZR Summit 8X42's after a long history of higher power (10-15X), lesser quality bins, and now rejects the idea that hunters need high power. On one of his recent deer hunting trips with one of his friends, I invited him to leave his Summits home, and take my 8X and 10X ED2's to swap between them. Though he's still very happy with the Summit purchase, he did concede that the ED2's had a slight edge over the Summits, but that obvious conclusion was assumed from the start, we were interested in the A/B comparison of 8 & 10X in the field.

The two hunters made a few conclusions. 1): when the light was less than ideal (most of the time on this trip), 8X was preferred for the brighter, sharper image. 2): Unless there was a handy way to steady the bins like propping them up on a branch (they had no tripod or monopod with them), 8X was preferred, as the extra jitter in the 10X tended to obscure whatever extra detail they might afford. 3): It was quicker and easier to find the prey in those "hey!! what was that over there?!" moments with 8X. 4): For long distance views, 1/2 mile or more, 10X were preferred in all but very low light.

In the end, my friend was still an 8X fan. Despite conceding the shortcomings of the 10X, his friend was less convinced, really liked the larger image, and had a hard time deciding which he preferred, but if pressed, would probably choose the 10X.

So, I'd say that leaves the takeaway conclusion in mid-air, as usual. Ted, I'll predict that sooner or later, you'll have two pairs of bins, one of them a 10X, but for now, your choice of 8X is probably wise. When you're ready, an ED3 might become available, and give you an excuse to buy one. Til then, rest easy, be happy |:d|

marty

the biggest reason i asked is i know a guy that bought a pair of 10x43ED2
and he bought a pair of swaros and i can get the 10x43 for $300.00 from him
but he was kind of short with me on the ph. little lury of the purchase i think i will stick with the NIB ones from Zen 8x43ED2 that the biggest reason i wanted the 8x anyway was for a little brighter than the 10x your right for the price of them i will probally have both someday,it is not gonna be right a way
Ted

I am not a hunter. So I don't know what kind of binoculars hunters should be using. I want to get 10x to see some long distance, mainly landscape view. I have used other 10x binoculars before and didn't have any issue with stability. So I don't expect it in 10x43 ED2. But you never know.

is the ZEN ED2 worth spending the xtra dollars on over the ED1's is there that big of improvement on things that one should take in consideration the
ED2's aren't really that much more like its gonna break the bank,but if i don't have to spend $55.00 more i would rather not.......i live in MI........lol

Comparing my 8x43 ED1 to 7x36 ED2, I prefer the ED2 better. ED1 has very slight warm bias. Both ED2 and Swaro EL have much cooler or natural color, if you may. I like the faster focus with ED2 too. It takes 1.65 turn to go from close focus (4 ft) to infinity, same as my EL 8.5x42. But my EL can only go down to 8 ft (the new Swarovision has 4 ft close focus, :t:)

Surveyor measured the tranmission rate for ED2, Swaro, Ultravid, BA last year.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1608841&postcount=4

Comparing my 8x43 ED1 to 7x36 ED2, I prefer the ED2 better. ED1 has very slight warm bias. Both ED2 and Swaro EL have much cooler or natural color, if you may. I like the faster focus with ED2 too. It takes 1.65 turn to go from close focus (4 ft) to infinity, same as my EL 8.5x42. But my EL can only go down to 8 ft (the new Swarovision has 4 ft close focus, :t:)

Surveyor measured the tranmission rate for ED2, Swaro, Ultravid, BA last year.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1608841&postcount=4

i cant wait to get my hands on the 8x43 ED2's every forum you go on they are bragging them up,except one forum

well i have to say after getting the 8x43ED2 i just had to find out for myself so i ordered the 10x43ED2 also and i got to say these are both very very good glass,BUT i have to say i favor the 8x over the 10x ,we tried these out for like 3 to 4 hrs. two different days in cloud overcast,sunshine and low light
and the 10x i like but they were harder to get focused for me but we were watching 15turkeys or so and i will tell you at about 300yds these tens brought the image a little better than the 8x but only for a moment,nothing wrong with the 10x but i am getting older wear glasses and the 8x's are really nice and crisp,clear,bright and the colors are unreal with these bins,the sharpness of these 8x43ED2 for the money the guy i had with me was shocked he had three different pair if bins with him one pair being 12x50 leicas
that did not have anything on these Zens,i know the 12x is not a fair test but this thur. or fri i will be comparing these to a pair of 10x42 Leicas a friend of mone has his are the best i have looke thru i think he has the BA's i can't really remember but it will be interesting to compare them,the FOV and the
DOV are amazing on the 8x43, these 8x43ED2 are
the only pair of bino's that i have ever looked thru without my glasses and can see perfect out of both eyes,on the 10x i can see perfect out of my left eye but my R/E i cannot get as fine tune as on the 8x43 the 10x43ED2 is
with no doubt a good binocular excelllent glass,but i can use the 8x43 with much more ease they are enjoyable using.
The Zen Ray ED2 get a :t: up from me,hard to believe for the price.and after talking with Charles at Zen i am glad i got the ED2 because everything looks natural thru them even the snow which he said may have a yellow tint with the ED1 ,i never noticed it with the ED2. one thing i did notice at last lite of the day the 8x picked up more images and were still kwite a bit brighter then the 10x i will say i am very impressed with these Zen Ray ED2's

Ted

i cant wait to get my hands on the 8x43 ED2's every forum you go on they are bragging them up,except one forum

The only people not impressed with the ED 2's are the people who have paid $2000+ for glass around their necks that give them little or no advantage.

The only people not impressed with the ED 2's are the people who have paid $2000+ for glass around their necks that give them little or no advantage.

I'm glad you like your Zen-Rays, but having owned and sold or returned 4 different pairs, three of them when my main bin was a $550 SE, I would say you're overreaching here.

I hunted with the Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2 a lot last season. I got very familiar with their strengths and weaknesses in the field. They are far from a perfect glass.

I'm glad you like your Zen-Rays, but having owned and sold or returned 4 different pairs, three of them when my main bin was a $550 SE, I would say you're overreaching here.

I hunted with the Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2 a lot last season. I got very familiar with their strengths and weaknesses in the field. They are far from a perfect glass.

Fireform, I would agree they aren't perfect. That said I think for less than $400 the 7x36 ED 2's strengths out weigh there weaknesses. Now are they for everyone? No, but what they do at there price makes them very attractive to people who can't or won't spend big money on glass! I'm one who will spend big dollars to get what I want, still I have no reservations what so ever in carrying these around. Will I be embarrased when the guy next to me has L,S,Z, nope I will just hand them over and let them be the judge! I'm not trying to have an argument just stating my opinion ok, Bryce...

After using a 10x43 ED2 alongside my trinovid 10x42, a Bushnell Elite 10x43, a SLC 10x42, and an EL 10x42 during the last hunting season I'm very much aware of their strengths and weaknesses too. Everything listed has them both, including your SE's, which I wouldn't take outside in a downpour by any stretch.

After using a 10x43 ED2 alongside my trinovid 10x42, a Bushnell Elite 10x43, a SLC 10x42, and an EL 10x42 during the last hunting season I'm very much aware of their strengths and weaknesses too. Everything listed has them both, including your SE's, which I wouldn't take outside in a downpour by any stretch.

i am going out to my buddies to line the zens up with his 10x42 leicas he wont be back till tomorrow night i am gonna try to go ouy there this sat.
i will let you know how they compare,i got the 8x43ed2 and a pair of 10x43ed2 this should be interesting

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back