• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Guatemala safe for birders? (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

I recently read a newspaper article describing how Guatemala is getting caught up in the type of narco violence that exists in Mexico. If this is true, is it making Guatemala unsafe for birders?

I haven't been there for a few years now, but from what I hear things are getting worse. One of the main concerns is the increase in the number of car-jackings. This has been a problem in the country for many years now and it can be violent. During my last few years I lived in El Salvador we were always careful whenever we crossed the border and tried to go in convoy. They were targeting cars with El Salvador plates and attacks were happening on major roads in broad daylight. It was generally recognised that many of these attacks were by policemen in plain clothes (especially in the Esquintla area). There were also several cases of rape in these attacks. Some friends were involved in a nasty car-jacking and thought they would die when they were driven off the road and tied up. Fortunately they walked away unscathed. In two separate incidents Salvadorian students at the school where my wife worked were shot in car jackings when they crossed the border into Guatemala - in one case fatally.
There are still many areas of the country that are safer, but you need to find out about the local conditions and never take risks. I'm sure that what I have written above sounds worse than it really is, but you really have to be careful. I will be visiting Central America this summer and will be traveling to many of my old favourite sites. However, I have decided to stick to El Salvador (which is also pretty dodgy, but I know it better) and Honduras.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys. Tom, I agree that we do not want to make things sound worse than they really are, but its hard to enjoy birding if you have to worry about your safety especially when travelling with your wife. And if Guatemala is half as bad as Mexico I would'nt feel safe. We live on the border and use to travel into Mexico often but now we woun't even go accros the bridge to have dinner. I never dreamed that a country as stable as Mexico could become so lawless in such a short time.

Marmot, I'll try to PM Helen. We were planning a trip to Guatemala in late January and need recent information.

Hi Ehrodz,
i can't comment on Guatemala, but just wanted to say that while i'm sure northern mexico is as bad as you say, the Yucatan is pretty safe, or at least it was 3 years ago when i went. It also pretty much shares the same birds as northern guatemala so might be worth a visit as an alternative. Belize was pretty safe (out of Belize City) when we went in 2005 also.
cheers,
James

They were targeting cars with El Salvador plates and attacks were happening on major roads in broad daylight. Some friends were involved in a nasty car-jacking and thought they would die when they were driven off the road and tied up. Fortunately they walked away unscathed.

He he he, long time ago, but exact opposite happened to me - crossed the border from Guatemala into El Salvador and promptly got hijacked and taken off into the bush. Lived to tell the tale :t:

I can confirm that Honduras is (realtively) safe. My travels through El Salvador had me branded as 'loco" by Salvadorians living in Canada.

I guess if you travel by chicken bus and look grubby you are not as much of a target as a rich gringo in a 4wd vechicle

From what a few people have told me from trips to Guatemala during the past two years, it can be done safely but you should plan the trip in advance with tour providers that know where and where not to go. As Tom Jenner eludes to, it is not the type of place where you should go exploring and driving around on your own.

Cayaya Birding, one of the best providers, has an informative website.

.... it can be done safely but you should plan the trip in advance with tour providers that know where and where not to go. As Tom Jenner eludes to, it is not the type of place where you should go exploring and driving around on your own.

That a country has 'safe' and 'less safe' areas is a good reason to ensure you know everything about it in advance and to plan accordingly, but I would completely disagree that it should mean to restrict yourself to tour providers - plenty of independent travellers are still travelling in Guatemala and countries far riskier without incident. Know in advance the risks, decide for yourself if it is worth it, but at the end of the day, it is as do-able by yourself as with an operator. Additionally, being with a tour operator is no guarantee of security - lower the risk perhaps, but eliminate it by no means ...plenty of bad things have happened to tourists round the world when supposedly in the safe mits of operators.

Me personally, I'd rather risk the bandits and guerrillas than a dead brain from an entire tour stuck with guides ;)

Last edited:
Sure, an experienced traveler could also plan a trip independently to Guatemala with plenty of up to date info. garnered from locals, and I am not saying that one has to take a tour, just that local tour providors with experience and a good reputation will know which areas and situations should be avoided. Whether one opts for hiring a guide through a local providor or not, getting advice about and booking an itinerary through them just provides an easier, quicker means of planning a safe trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back