• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 15x56 Review (1 Viewer)

quincy88

I purchased the SLC 15s a few weeks ago from one of the nationwide hunting stores. So far, I really like them and haven't noticed anything that needs to be improved.

I haven’t had the opportunity to compare these 15s side-by-side to any of others. Once, I got to handle the Conquests, and I have never seen the Mavens. Those two are the others that had me curious. I chose the SLCs for three reasons:
I have compared the 10x42 Conquests and SLCs for a few hours a couple years ago and I preferred the SLCs.
Neither the Zeiss nor the Maven was available in my hometown
And because of the recommendation here: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro15x56SLCHD.htm.

So far, I have used these binoculars for birding, hunting, astronomy, and general observations. I use them handheld (which is steadier and more useful than I thought it would be), on a monopod, and on a tripod. I typically use them on the monopod when I am out in the field.

I haven’t performed any science on these, so any statements that I make are just my perception and cannot be backed up by quantitative facts. Now, onto their virtues:

First, the configuration is totally awesome (not specific to my SLCs, but worth noting). 15s are great birding glass when looking at seabirds from shore or at waterfowl from across the pond. They are also great hunting glass for looking across muskegs and peering into open woods. The 56 mm objectives are a good compromise because they are both huge and compact – the objectives are way bigger than my 12s, but the overall binocular is only a bit bigger and a bit heavier (the SLCs are the most compact in this configuration, which is always an important criterion for me).

Second, they are as clear as any binocular I have ever used.

Third, they are really bright. Very glad Swarovski went AK on these. Their low light performance is much better than I would have guessed based on their exit pupil. As some of you recall, I was working on a low light figure of merit which put a lot of emphasis on the exit pupil, these 15s have shown me some of the error in that thought process. They do have that effect of making the world brighter when looking through them in dark surroundings.

Fourth, they are comfortable to hold and carry with their huge thumb indents. Ergonomically they fit me really well. The story is a bit more complicated than it is with smaller binoculars though. Because of their magnification and weight, I have to hold them near the objectives to make the image stable enough to be useful, but when I am holding them in this way I cannot reach the focus. This means that I alternate between holding as still as possible and focusing. I don’t see this as a problem and assume that a similar procedure would have to be applied to any binocular in this configuration.

Fifth, the focus is slow. It takes ∼2.25 turns from 12’ to ∞ and has more resistance than my Ultravids. It is however very smooth. In a smaller binocular the slow focus would be a deal breaker for me, but in these it is perfect. The slow focus fits the magnification really well and allows for very nice fine-tuning of the image. Being off by a little bit with this much magnification is a problem, so I really like the slow, deliberate focus on these.

Sixth, Swarovski makes the best straps, ocular covers, objective covers, carry bag, and carry bag strap that I have seen. All of the accessories that came with these are better than those that came with my Ultravids. All of them.

Seventh, I really like the flat field of these. I have tried the EL 8.5s (Pre Field Pro - I owned them for three weeks) and found the flat field really distracting and didn’t like it at all. Everything that I looked at seemed unnatural in some way. But the SLC 15s are a joy to look through in part because of their flat field. I can’t put my finger on why I like the flat field in these and why I didn’t in the 8.5s – I suspect it has something to do with the narrower field of view on the 15s but I really don’t know.

Eighth, the color is great, and I have not noticed a significant bias towards any part of the spectrum. Chromatic aberrations are minimal and I have only noticed it in really tough conditions – as good as I have seen in any binocular in this regard.

These have been on quite a few adventures with me over the past few weeks and I have thoroughly enjoyed them so far. I have a hard time imagining how the Swarovski SLC 15x56s could be improved upon in future iterations. In my limited experience, these binoculars are without flaw. If you are a birder/hunter/astronomer/northern lights enthusiast/ mountain viewer/ boat and airplane watcher/general observer then I suspect you may find binoculars that could last a lifetime in this model.

To address my previous thread mentioning these SLCs, I haven't yet gotten a doubler/booster and have instead put my money towards the outdoorsman's monopod, pistol grip panner, and binocular stud/adapter, which is a really nice system.

-as you were, q

I haven’t looked through the 15x but I have the 8x56 SLC and it is stunning every time I look through it no matter the conditions. I am sure the 15 is awesome too! I might have to get one in the future for astronomy use. I have the Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX i just bought for astronomy and it is an excellent binocular for that purpose also.

Yes the 15X SLC are a great glass for astro, and I did use them this year for the raptor migration. I use them more for the night sky. The one glass in the 56 SLC line I am really curious about is the 10X56, while it is bigger/heavier than the EL SV 10X50, I am sure with the AK prisms and the extra aperture they would be a great all around bright 10X.
Enjoy the best 15X56 handheld out there, although the Meopta 15X56 is not that far behind, a bit less FOV for around 800 less. I am sure the Maven are good as well, based on some of the reviews, however I have never viewed the 15X56.

Andy W.

Quincy,

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you can rest assured that you have acquired the best central-focussing 15x binocular available. Some years ago my dealer procured one for me to evaluate and the only reason I didn't buy was that eye relief at 16 mm was marginal for me as a glasses-wearer. On a tripod though with a Zeiss 3x12 booster for 45x, the image quality was as good as one would expect from a 56 mm scope.
Btw, a 15x56 Zeiss Conquest was a big disappointment with the worst CA I have seen in any medium/top range binocular.

John

Attached are a few photos that were taken with my phone through the SLCs using the Swarovski phone adapter, and a blue tooth shutter operator. My photography skills are lacking, but I hope this gives an idea of some of the optical qualities of these binoculars.

The first is a mountain goat from about a mile and a half away. The zoom on my phone camera was at its maximum in this photo. The binoculars were on a tripod.

The second photo is a raven about 50 yards away. The phone camera was zoomed just enough to eliminate the circular view. The binoculars were propped up using various items on my desk.

The third and fourth photos are mountain peaks taken from the valley below. I was probably about three-quarters of a mile away. Again the phone camera was zoomed just enough to eliminate the circular view. The binoculars were on the monopod.

-as you were, q

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 610
  • file1 (1).jpeg
    file1 (1).jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 678
  • file2.jpeg
    file2.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 548
  • file3.jpeg
    file3.jpeg
    733.4 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Ha. Amazing how composed a bird of that size is when hanging upside down. Very rare indeed, previously thought to be extinct. Now that I have captured it on 'film' I'm off to photograph an ivory-billed woodpecker. Pictures to follow.

Thanks for the review, I’ve been thinking about these for awhile. Just a heads up in my (limited) online research of the doubler I was left with the impression it only fits the eyepiece threads of the prior slc and el lines and they don’t make a doubler that fits the current binos. Worth a call to Swarovski anyway, before buying one!

These are the only 15’s I’ve looked through that worked with my glasses (vs Meopta and Zeiss), maybe it’s time to start saving pennies for next hunting season

Just a heads up in my (limited) online research of the doubler I was left with the impression it only fits the eyepiece threads of the prior slc and el lines and they don’t make a doubler that fits the current binos.

You are correct. There is no Swarovski made doubler that will fit the current SLC 15x56s.

Good review, Quincy88.

I had hoped Zeiss would make some 15x54 HTs in the past but that didn't happen.
Might have to finally break down and get some 15x56 SLCs of my own.
They would make a good companion to my 10x42 HTs when I needed some extra power. :t:

Because of their magnification and weight, I have to hold them near the objectives to make the image stable enough to be useful, but when I am holding them in this way I cannot reach the focus.
While holding the SLC 56 in the way you would naturally upon picking them up, rotate your hands on your wrists to point your thumbs more toward your face, putting the bino in full contact with the palm of your hand all the way to the heel. You will find that this supports the objectives well, lines your thumbs up perfectly with the indents, and simultaneously allows the index finger to (just) reach the focuser. I thought my 10x56 was rather front-heavy until I figured this out. These are absolutely my favorite full-sized binos today. Enjoy yours!

I've been reading about the SLC 15x56 WB, getting my head round the three versions, and have a rough idea of the timescale:
I understand that the original WB model was redesigned and the NEU model came our around 2009 ?
Then an HD version in the same NEU body came out, around 2015 or a bit before ?
However the Swarovski website simply call them WB.

I've also read you can add 30 to the first two digits of the serial number to get the date of manufacture. Is this still true ?
And most important for me, how/is it possible to confirm from the serial number on a NEU binocular whether it is the newest HD or the earlier non-HD type ?

Cheers
Andy

Andy,
Your post raises a number of issues which will be of general interest, so I’ve gone into some detail . . .

CHRONOLOGY
The 15x56 SLC was introduced in 1999 (the earliest I’ve observed is #D6938)
Both the units and the box label were marked ‘15x56 WB’, with W indicating a wide angle of view, and B indicating long eye relief
The units continued to be marked 15x56 WB until the end of the first series production in 2013

The Neu version, in all magnifications, was introduced in 2005 (with the earliest observed 15x56 #D7503)
The Neu version marked a change to the external covering (forrest green with a black insert in the bridge area) - but not a change to the optical or mechanical construction
The x56 Neu version continued until 2013 (with the latest observed 15x56 #D8323)

Then an all new model was introduced in 2013 (earliest observed 15x56 #N8344)

FIRST SERIES: 1999 to 2013
All of the 15x56 units in this series have the same optical construction (lenses, groups and prisms)

Swarobright - dielectric prism coating - was progressively introduced on the SLC line from 1998 to 2003! (last on the 8x30 and 7x50)
The change was indicated by a modified box label with the word Swarobright - the units have no external marking to indicate the change
By my observation, the change was introduced on the 15x56 from late 2000 (earliest observed #D7043)

Swaroclean - low friction external lens coating - was generally introduced on all product lines in 2007 (the earliest 15x56 box label I’ve seen indicating the change is #D7739)

Swarotop - multicoating of lenses - is constantly updated across all product lines without announcement
However, we do know that by late 2009 there was a universal update across all product lines, which resulted in the current Swarovski typical ‘paper white’ image
see the posts from Dale Forbes of Swarovski, especially #29: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=155446

n.b. the advantage of the Neu version is that you know that at a minimum it has Swarobright prism coatings, with the serial number providing additional information

SECOND SERIES: from 2013
Despite the continuing use of the SLC designation, this is an all new design, including mechanically and optically

The second series SLC x56 models are unique among Swarovski binoculars in using Abbe-Koenig prisms,
and unlike the first series they also have one HD glass in each objective (to stress the point: none of the first series has HD glass)
The 15x56 also has 3 more lenses per side compared to the first series version

Units are immediately distinguishable by the current covering, with the 15x56 referred to in the specification sheet as ‘SLC 15x56 W B’ and the unit marked ’SLC 15x56’

NUMBERING
The SLC’s use Swarovski’s usual numbering convention for 10 digit serial numbers:
- the first 2 numbers indicate the year of production (add 1930)
- the next 2 numbers the week of the year (01 to 52)

And as indicated above, the first series SLC’s have a D prefix, the second series an N prefix

CHOICES
The consensus from the comparative tests I’ve looked at, is that optically:
- the current SLC (2013 on) is the best of all 15x choices, and
- the SLC Neu (2005 on) is the best of all the non-HD glass choices

As usual, an excellent starting point is Roger Vine’s website ScopeViews: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm
He’s tested both the Neu and current models (along with Zeiss, Nikon and Minox 15x’s)

As magnification increases so does the value of HD glass. There is an interesting comparison of a current HD glass Meopta to an an SLC Neu here:
https://www.rokslide.com/review-meopta-meostar-15x56-hd-binocular/, see the attached image

If the price of the current SLC is too much, have a serious look at the current Meopta - with HD glass from 2016

If you go for a first series SLC, you want one from 2001 at the earliest i.e. with Swarobright prism coatings,
and of course the later the better in terms of the other coatings

All the best
John

Attachments

• HD vs non-HD.jpg
    HD vs non-HD.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I've been reading about the SLC 15x56 WB, getting my head round the three versions, and have a rough idea of the timescale:
I understand that the original WB model was redesigned and the NEU model came our around 2009 ?
However the Swarovski website simply call them WB.

I've also read you can add 30 to the first two digits of the serial number to get the date of manufacture. Is this still true ?
And most important for me, how/is it possible to confirm from the serial number on a NEU binocular whether it is the newest HD or the earlier non-HD type ?

Cheers
Andy

Andy:

The SLC models were first introduced in 1985, starting with the 7x30 an 8x30,
and the larger 56 models soon followed. Swarobright dielectric coatings were introduced in 2001. The SLC Neu had a change in armor design, with the darker green color, and they began in 2005, and I have a 2005 SLC Neu 15x56. This model continued until 2013, with the introduction of the current SLC 15x56 HD model all redesigned with the AK prisms.
This model has new armor and looks much different from the former Neu model.
Some changes in the Neu models were the introduction of Swaroclean, the
lens coating for easier cleaning and water repellency.
Otherwise Swarovski makes incremental coatings changes all throughout model runs.

The adding 30 to the first 2 digits of the ser. # does give you the year of mfr.
and this continues today.

This is how I understand the dates, and it should be accurate within a year or so.
I hope this helps.

Jerry

The newest 15x56 HD is a complete redesign and has a completely different body. The newest version looks like this:
http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro15x56SLCHD.htm

The Neu version like this:
http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro15x56SLC.htm

Note that the Neu has black hinges. The pre-Neu had the same body with green hinges.

George

Thank you so much for these replies, very informative and interesting.
I'm going to get the latest 15x56 Swaro HD model, and can now check... visually by the new style armour with same colour bridge, and also the serial number starting with #N83/N84/N85 etc

I'll post here when I get them. Incidentally, I was also going to get some 7x ultravid, but now fancy a set of big bins with even higher magnification for tripod mounting.

Cheers
Andy

My favorite backpacking, tripod binocular of all time! I owned the original 15x56 SLC until replacing them with the NEU version which were then replaced when the fully redesigned AK prism version released. Each time I got the newer version, I owned the previous version with about a year of overlap, so I had a lot of time to compare them head to head. I'm fortunate to have access to other popular 15x's including the Conquest and the longer I spend behind those other models, the more I'm convinced that there's nothing else quite like Swarovski's 15X. I was hopeful that Zeiss might make a 15x HT but it didn't happen. I'm a bit skeptical that we'll see an alpha 15x anytime soon by the other guys, as it's just a fairly specialized size/magnification.

Last edited:
My favorite backpacking, tripod binocular of all time! I owned the original 15x56 SLC until replacing them with the NEU version which were then replaced when the fully redesigned AK prism version released. Each time I got the newer version, I owned the previous version with about a year of overlap, so I had a lot of time to compare them head to head. I'm fortunate to have access to other popular 15x's including the Conquest and the longer I spend behind those other models, the more I'm convinced that there's nothing else quite like Swarovski's 15X. I was hopeful that Zeiss might make a 15x HT but it didn't happen. I'm a bit skeptical that we'll see an alpha 15x anytime soon by the other guys, as it's just a fairly specialized size/magnification.

Have you had any of the Swaro's side by side with the Meopta Meostar HD? I can't see much difference personally.

The Meopta 15X56 is a solid performer, since I mainly use this aperture/configuration for astronomy and open plain viewing, rapture watch etc. I went with the SLCs a for the slightly wider FOV and a focus travel I prefer, along with the rest of the ergonomics eye cups etc., it was a personnel choice. These two are ahead of the rest IMHO. The Meopta is a very solid glass, highly recommended, and would have been my choice were it not for my preferred attributes of the SLC.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back