• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Button Oak ?? Two barred Crossbills (1 Viewer)

Tomwbhx

I need to retire! ....oh I have!
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone knows if the 2 barred crossbills are still about near Button Oak, thinking of popping along Sunday if the weather holds!

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

The 3 Two-barred Crossbills (2 males & the female with the plain tertials) were showing well along the usual ride with c25 Common Crossbills this morning at cSO.749.792. They provided the best views I've had so far although frustratingly (for me at least) they remained firmly in Shropshire but did come very close to the Worcs border, within c30 yards at one point when the whole flock took flight.

As time goes by there seems to be less interest so updates are likely to be less frequent but they seem fairly settled in that area. The very best of luck if you go.

Brian

Button Oak?? Two-Barred

Hi Tom,

If you don't already know the Two-Barred's distinctive "trumpet call",you can find it on the Xeno-Canto site. Makes finding the birds less of a lottery.

Chris,

Anyone seen any of late? Not noticed any on the alert services. Planning on going up on Sunday since it might be my last chance this "winter." Fingers crossed.

Down there today lots of commons around at least two flocks of 50+. Eventually found the 2-bars in the larch near the pylons, two males seen with about 20 commons.
Good luck if you go up there tomorrow.

Last edited:
Went up today 2-5 ish and it sounds like I just missed them.
A few loose groups of commons around and 2 bramblings to help the time go by but pretty gutting that the 2 bars were a no show.

Hopefully I can find another chance to squeeze in...

Any more details about the possible female Parrot Crossbill at Postenplain today?

There's a link to a photo of a photo(back of camera) on the twitter feed section of the Shropshire ornithologal society's website, in the recent reports bit. Can't see much detail on it but it's certainly big-billed! Been a female reported there at least once before this winter I seem to recall

Male Two-barred Crossbill reported singing at Postenplain today - would be a stunning breeding record :eek!::t:

Following on from Craig's female a few days ago, below is attached a picture of a male Crossbill in the same area. Appearing larger billed compared with nearby Common Crossbills it didn't remove the cone but fed on it for a good 10 minutes. In contrast, some of the obvious Commons did remove cones and carried them off to eat, 'Parrot fashion' but they didn't really persist with them and often dropped them with only minor beak marks apparent.

The pictured bird didn't call but did appear stockier than the Commons, but I suspect it is within range for Common rather than Parrot......

Brian

Attachments

• Crossbill.sp_Wyre_Forest_24.02.14_BS.jpg
    Crossbill.sp_Wyre_Forest_24.02.14_BS.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 107
2+ Two-barred Crossbills (female & 1+ male) still at SO.746.790 this morning but mobile - they were very vocal which helped in locating them. Also c40 Crossbills in the area, 10+ Brambling, 80+ Siskin and 30+ Lesser Redpoll.

Also 8+ Crossbills around pine plantation north of Pound Green Common (Worcs) this morning but mobile and another Crossbill flew over Knowles Coppice early afternoon.

Brian

Three male Two-barred Crossbills (two adults and a first summer male) reported today still at Postenplain. Like the birds in the Forest of Dean and Yorkshire they look well set. I wonder if the female could be on a nest ...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back