• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian/african collared dove (1 Viewer)

ori76

I am not sure if I can distinguish both species (African/eurasian collared dove). In the Canary islands (Spain) both species can be seen. After some research a lot of people say that the undertail must be pure white, while for the eurasian it is gray. So, are there any of those two african collared doves? I am afraid I could not listen to any of them.

Attachments

• Maspalomas379_zps7n7thqw8.jpg
    Maspalomas379_zps7n7thqw8.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Maspalomas385_zpsq01n4ero.jpg
    Maspalomas385_zpsq01n4ero.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 54
This is difficult.
According to my knowlede pure african collared dove do not have any black in the outer vane of the tail feathers, while in Eurasian , there is black on the outer vane reaching further towards the tip than the black on the inner vane.
also in african collared dove the undertail coverts are white, while they are grey in eurasian collared dove.

domestic variant of african collared dove
myturtledoves.skyrock.com/photo.html?id_article=3067723317&id_article_media=28840603

Eurasian collared dove
myturtledoves.skyrock.com/photo.html?id_article=3067723317&id_article_media=28840381

To me the first picture looks actually like a hybrid.
With the second bird the distribution of black seems more like in eurasian collared and the undertail coverts are mainly grey - so clearly also not an african collared dove. If a hybrid is more difficult to judge.

Last edited:
This is difficult.
According to my knowlede pure african collared dove do not have any black in the outer vane of the tail feathers, while in Eurasian , there is black on the outer vane reaching further towards the tip than the black on the inner vane.
also in african collared dove the undertail coverts are white, while they are grey in eurasian collared dove.

domestic variant of african collared dove
myturtledoves.skyrock.com/photo.html?id_article=3067723317&id_article_media=28840603

Eurasian collared dove
myturtledoves.skyrock.com/photo.html?id_article=3067723317&id_article_media=28840381

To me the first picture looks actually like a hybrid.
With the second bird the distribution of black seems more like in eurasian collared and the undertail coverts are mainly grey - so clearly also not an african collared dove. If a hybrid is more difficult to judge.

I'm not sure but that was my impression too. Second bird is regular Eurasian.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back