• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro Dovetail Standards? (1 Viewer)

Hauksen

Forum member
Antarctica
Hi everyone,

Not a directly photography related question, but maybe you could help me anyway: Is there an overview over astro dovetail standards to be found online, somewhere?

My fascination with reflex sights (red dot finders) has induced me to design a dovetail-to-NATO-rail adapter for my girlfriend's telescope, a Skywatcher Dobson.

This is a depiction of the dovetail foot I used. The actual shoe is 34 mm at the base:

Astro2NATO.jpg

What is it I designed there? :) Probably, I found these measurements online, but I'm afraid I lost track of the source.

The 3D-printed adapter works well, and from photographs I've seen online, it doesn't seem unusual for astro dovetails to show large gaps, but I wonder if before sharing my design, I should better re-visit it to make sure it matches established standards ...

Many thanks in advance!

Henning

Hi again,

Also, the adapter itself can be downloaded from there for 3D-printing :)

I have just uploaded a fully customizable new adapter here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3004127

(The old one was one particular size, and optimized for cheap printing using commerical services. The new one, besides being customizable in all relevant dimensions, is optimized for easy printing on a desktop 3D printer.)

Since I just ran across an old thread in this subforum mentioning that some reflex sights are too dim to be of use in daylight conditions: If the sight offers a green reticle in addition to the more typical red one, that tends to be a lot more visible even in a very bright environment.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back