• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Saltholme (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know of the LEOs are showing at Saltholme at present? They have been mentioned once or twice on the Sightings Page of the relevant part of the RSPB website, but nor regularly. They were mentioned on the News Services on 23rd and 24th December, but not since. On the other hand there hasn't been any negative news. Anyone been there more recently and can enlighten me?

Does anyone know of the LEOs are showing at Saltholme at present? They have been mentioned once or twice on the Sightings Page of the relevant part of the RSPB website, but nor regularly. They were mentioned on the News Services on 23rd and 24th December, but not since. On the other hand there hasn't been any negative news. Anyone been there more recently and can enlighten me?

They've been there most days with 1-4 present.

There was no sign of any this morning when I had a look, though they may have been located since I left. There were two seen yesterday.

Long eared Owl showing very well today there. Best to phone up and check there is a warden available at the roost as they don't seem to allow viewing without one.

Good luck,

Richard

Long eared Owl showing very well today there. Best to phone up and check there is a warden available at the roost as they don't seem to allow viewing without one.

Good luck,

Richard

Good advice Richard and thank you for sharing. It's a sensible approach by the team as they've been very patient over the years with LEO's and disturbance by selfish individuals. It's a shame it's come to this but the inconsiderate few have forced their hand. Hopefully everyone can behave for the rest of the winter and we may see a return to a more open attitude if they return later in the year.

Had a visit to Saltholme this weekend with my two girls, for some pond-dipping, which was all quite enjoyable. It's definitely well set-up for getting kids interested in nature.

While there, one of the wardens mentioned a squacco heron had been seen but only on one day last week, and not since. Was wondering if any locals on here managed to connect with it, as I love a good "exotic" heron, so was rather disappointed it hadn't hung around!

Nothing particularly exotic seen for me, but we only walked around the small inner pond path. Was very impressed by the number of tree sparrows on the feeders though, perhaps 20-25 at one point

It was there on Thursday 18th. Found late morning by a visitor at the Wildlife Watchpoint and identified by staff in the visitor centre from photos he took.

The reserve stayed open late until 7.00pm to allow additional people the chance to get to see it - which many did. It was last seen flying off towards Haverton Viewpoint.

It wasn't seen again on Friday despite much effort being put into relocating it.

I managed to see it shortly after the news was released. It was a pure fluke as I'd just called in. By chance the first person told me I met told me about it and we headed to the Wildlife Watchpoint. The hide was about empty when we arrived but soon filled up. There was no sign of it initially but 20 minutes late it flew in front of the hide and landed. It fed a while before flying off again, only to return 30 minutes later. It did this a few times before settling down to sleep perched on the side of the reeds.

The reserve is otherwise pretty quiet at present. Plenty of the commoner species around though. At least two pairs of Garganey are still on the reserve. Two males can turn up just about anywhere. Hopefully within a week or two we may see some young.

Attachments

• IMG_3107b.jpg
    IMG_3107b.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3067b.jpg
    IMG_3067b.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3222a.jpg
    IMG_3222a.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3172a.jpg
    IMG_3172a.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3130aa.jpg
    IMG_3130aa.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 75
I think Friday 5th February was the first sighting. Seen at the Wildlife Watchpoint.

Lately they've been seen most often in the reed bed opposite the fire station. You have to view from the narrow grass verge on the side of the road. On a weekend the road isn't too busy and it's especially quiet on a Sunday. There's no other permitted access to that area. If they're not in view it's worth waiting 20 mins and if no joy then just call back a little later.

Viewing isn't easy as there's only a couple of gaps in the hawthorn hedge and there's lots of reedmace to look through.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back