• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help ID bird spotted in UK/IRELAND. (1 Viewer)

WalnutOwl

I was participating in the RSPB birdwatch weekend so my garden was filled with lots of different garden birds and lots of seed/fat feeds. I left my spot for a moment and a family member spotted a bird they presume was black but feathers were turning blue/green in the light. She mentioned it also had a very long neck and it was roughly the size of a pigeon, possibly bigger. Definitely not a rook/crow or jackdaw. It left too quick so I didnt see it and she couldnt get a picture if it in time. I've been on the internet all night trying to ID this bird but nothings coming up, im stumped. Please help ID!! (Ps this was spotted in Northern Ireland)

Ive been showing the spotter pictures of various birds and I think we have concluded it was a common raven. It just stopped on the shed roof for a few seconds and flew away again so maybe it was just catching its breath lol. Thanks for replying guys.

Ive been showing the spotter pictures of various birds and I think we have concluded it was a common raven. It just stopped on the shed roof for a few seconds and flew away again so maybe it was just catching its breath lol. Thanks for replying guys.

Welcome, and goodbye!!??

RB

Hmmm ... I think normally a Raven would appear a lot (lot) bigger than a pigeon, and in any case often appear pretty similar to a crow, so if it was definitely not a crow, then to conclude it was a Raven seems a step too far perhaps.

One of the things with birdwatching is that you can't always identify everything all the time .. some you have to let go. I think this may be one of those times ...

(Other alternatives could be a melanistic feral pigeon, some kind of escaped cagebird, chicken or just a more ordinary crow seen poorly, for example)

Yep - Ravens are BIG. Size of a big Buzzard. Absolutely huge in a garden context.

Think I'd agree with Dan Theman, most likely a blackish feral pigeon. There's plenty of them about.

Yep - Ravens are BIG. Size of a big Buzzard. Absolutely huge in a garden context.

Think I'd agree with Dan Theman, most likely a blackish feral pigeon. There's plenty of them about.

Yep, I remember when I first joined here I thought Raven and Crows were hard to distinguish but when I actually saw a Raven close by flippin eck it was a shock as it was a blimmin monster :eek!:

That and its 'kronky' call, diamond tail etc ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back