• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bovids of the World, Castello et al (1 Viewer)

I don't think it ever has been. But you can spare yourself the cost of buying one, it is full of errors and dubious splits. The only real way it is of value is as a graphical complement to the heavily criticized Ungulate Taxonomy book by Groves & Grubb.

Many thanks T.O,

there's a book on Felids due in December by the same author(s), are you able to comment on that, do anticipate the same to be true of this work?

http://www.wildsounds.com/products/6315-Felids-and-Hyenas-of-the-World.shtml

Many thanks T.O

there's a book on Felids due in December by the same author(s), are you able to comment on that?

http://www.wildsounds.com/products/6315-Felids-and-Hyenas-of-the-World.shtml

The Canids book that came after it was much better when it comes to taxonomy, with only 1 dubious split (American vs. Eurasian Red Fox), but I don't own it, so don't know about any other errors.

I am personally not a big fan of such field guides as they are impractical to take into the field (and rather pointless given their narrow scope) and as reference works there are other better books. Many people seem to disagree though and they seem quite popular....

The Canids book that came after it was much better when it comes to taxonomy, with only 1 dubious split (American vs. Eurasian Red Fox), but I don't own it, so don't know about any other errors.

I am personally not a big fan of such field guides as they are impractical to take into the field (and rather pointless given their narrow scope) and as reference works there are other better books. Many people seem to disagree though and they seem quite popular....

Thanks for your comments.

You can download this book for free until the end of the month as it's available on the Project Muse website (which had its own thread a few weeks ago - dozens of good books still available for free). https://muse.jhu.edu/book/44215

Only downside is that the pdf for this title is compressed so the photos don't come out that well. And you have to download each chapter and recombine the pdfs.

The similar Canids book is there too.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just checked and this publication continues the bizarre trend (also perpetuated in HMW and others) of having the distribution of Wolf in Greenland completely wrong, showing virtually a mirror image of the actual distribution. Can't understand how this has never been corrected.

You can download this book for free until the end of the month as it's available on the Project Muse website (which had its own thread a few weeks ago - dozens of good books still available for free). https://muse.jhu.edu/book/44215

Only downside is that the pdf for this title is compressed so the photos don't come out that well. And you have to download each chapter and recombine the pdfs.

Thanks for this.

I don't think it ever has been. But you can spare yourself the cost of buying one, it is full of errors and dubious splits. The only real way it is of value is as a graphical complement to the heavily criticized Ungulate Taxonomy book by Groves & Grubb.

I find it a wonderfully informative field guide, full of information, and a great resource.
The author has obviously put an awful lot of time and effort into it. Any book with this level of information is going to contain errors.

Taxonomy is an arbitrary subject anyway, I can imagine for the vast majority of the readership it's not something that is a particular problem. Certainly for me, it doesn't detract from the effort and information found from cover to cover.

I'd certainly recommend buying it if you have any level of interest in Bovids.

James

I find this an interesting comment: I downloaded the book. Is there a summary of the areas of controversy /errors somewhere?

I find this an interesting comment: I downloaded the book. Is there a summary of the areas of controversy /errors somewhere?

With respect to the taxonomy, the pdf attached to this post gives a pretty good overview:
https://www.zoochat.com/community/t...the-splits-of-g-g.467230/page-14#post-1180892

For more details in individual species, you have to check their profiles in that thread. With regards to other errors the terms subspecies and species are confused all the time, some pictures are making animals appear more distinct than they are (and some seem falsely identified), there are also errors in some of the maps, but I don't think a list has been published for that.

With respect to the taxonomy, the pdf attached to this post gives a pretty good overview:
https://www.zoochat.com/community/t...the-splits-of-g-g.467230/page-14#post-1180892

For more details in individual species, you have to check their profiles in that thread. With regards to other errors the terms subspecies and species are confused all the time, some pictures are making animals appear more distinct than they are (and some seem falsely identified), there are also errors in some of the maps, but I don't think a list has been published for that.

Thanks for this

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back