• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TV licence needed? (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please can anyone advise:
I am writing from the UK.
If I watch a live streamed bird feeder cam or similar on Youtube, does that legally speaking, necessitate me having a TV licence?

The TV license only pertains to the BBC and nothing or nobody else. I have not had one for 20 years as i do not watch much ‘live’ tending to download stuff over the kast ten years or so. The BBC’s ingrained arrogance implies that ppl cannot manage without receiving their product:-O Up until fairly recently you had to physically be caught watching something to be breaching the law and you could still go to jail for it hence ppl that were fined were named and shamed in the local press in order to ‘send out a message’. The law was changed and merely to have equipment that can receive live stuff can land you in hot water - Big Brother or what:C Car owners are not treated as potential drink drivers or going to use their vehicles in bank robberies - the BBC and its licence fee is a dinosaur that is thrashing about in an ever decreasing swamp that is drying out imo. That means a PC moniter and a computer/tablet makes you a potential criminal..... We get hate-mail from Crapita promising retribution, fines, jail, deportation to a Gulag etc etc and a date of reckoning when they will be on the doorstep - all because we bought a TV for a daughter who was going to University about 15 years ago! I could paper the walls with them but the dog shreds each one and still they haven’t turned up:-O Somebody did about 5 years ago and asked for entry. They were refused as they have no right if access and when he saw 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers he vanished like a fart in the wind:-O

Anyway, rant over, NO you do not need a licence to watch those feeders but beware if you live watch their propoganda paeticularly the farce that is Springwatch etc;)

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Last edited:
The TV license only pertains to the BBC and nothing or nobody else. I have not had one for 20 years as i do not watch much ‘live’ tending to download stuff over the kast ten years or so. The BBC’s ingrained arrogance implies that ppl cannot manage without receiving their product:-O Up until fairly recently you had to physically be caught watching something to be breaching the law and you could still go to jail for it hence ppl that were fined were named and shamed in the local press in order to ‘send out a message’. The law was changed and merely to have equipment that can receive live stuff can land you in hot water - Big Brother or what:C Car owners are not treated as potential drink drivers or going to use their vehicles in bank robberies - the BBC and its licence fee is a dinosaur that is thrashing about in an ever decreasing swamp that is drying out imo. That means a PC moniter and a computer/tablet makes you a potential criminal..... We get hate-mail from Crapita promising retribution, fines, jail, deportation to a Gulag etc etc and a date of reckoning when they will be on the doorstep - all because we bought a TV for a daughter who was going to University about 15 years ago! I could paper the walls with them but the dog shreds each one and still they haven’t turned up:-O Somebody did about 5 years ago and asked for entry. They were refused as they have no right if access and when he saw 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers he vanished like a fart in the wind:-O

Anyway, rant over, NO you do not need a licence to watch those feeders but beware if you live watch their propoganda paeticularly the farce that is Springwatch etc;)

Good birding -

Agree with all this, as a layman, I can't see how it doesn't breach anti competition laws?

Good birding -

Thank you for the helpful comment. I do not have a TV licence, although I do own a TV set and a computer. A few years ago I availed myself of the facility to send the TV licensing people a declaration that I do not use the device to view live programs or watch iPlayer. That way I can conscientiously watch "on demand" things etc without risking prosecution. Every so often they send me a form to fill in to state nothing has changed LOL

Yes and i could do that as well and it would save all the hate mail but i like to be a thorn in their side and will not dance to their tune;) They continuously tweak with the Law to make the onus on you which is not acceptable. They have no intention of ever turning up but in case they do i have an egg in a glass cabinet that has their name on it:t:

The easiest thing to do would make BBC iPlayer accessible only with a code that is issued with your annual licence much in the way that all other subscription channels e.g. Sky, Netflix, etc etc. Quite why this solution eludes them whilst they continue to tilt at windmills is beyond mere mortals like myself.....

Good birding -

Yes and i could do that as well and it would save all the hate mail but i like to be a thorn in their side and will not dance to their tune;) They continuously tweak with the Law to make the onus on you which is not acceptable. They have no intention of ever turning up but in case they do i have an egg in a glass cabinet that has their name on it:t:

The easiest thing to do would make BBC iPlayer accessible only with a code that is issued with your annual licence much in the way that all other subscription channels e.g. Sky, Netflix, etc etc. Quite why this solution eludes them whilst they continue to tilt at windmills is beyond mere mortals like myself.....

Good birding -

That is most interesting. A man I know from abroad didn't have a licence and they turned up at his house, after which he got fined. However someone told me once (or maybe I read it somewhere) that if they do turn up one is not legally obliged to let them in. And when that is the case they are without a leg to stand on. With all the different ways of delivering programs these days on all kinds of devices, I think they have given up trying to stem the flood of licence defaulters.
o:) Thank you LOL

The twats from Capita are paid to inveigle you and once in your house they can make a case. The hard of thinking and the easily intimidated are the target quarry. People can technically still go to jail but only by refusing to pay. Nobody gets over our door without a warrant. I have a mental/virtual moat and a mentality to go with it:t:

I reiterate - why not hve a code that you apply that comes with your existing licence? I will tell you why. The BBC are still living in a bygone World of Empire and ‘Pink bits on the map’ where they were the sovereign provider of all that was needed to know. Bear in mind that Hitler wanted ‘a radio in every room’.....
Their role in media, news and entertainment has changed drastically but more importantly so has the World.

They carry no adverts but promote any new book, film etc by interested parties.
They make a fortune by selling their products abroad - paid for initially by us.
They have ppl advising ‘celebrity’ presenters where to have their wages paid in order to avoid tax in the UK.
They are not impartial and have a Left-wing bias that is hiding in plain sight at best. You only have to see their views of anything or anybody considered right of centre.
Don’t start me off on Brexit!
They have been mired in paedophilia issues since Savile who was well known with regard to his ‘extra curricular’ activities for decades.
Reform will take ages but once the TV licence fee is abolished things will move quickly.
By not paying the fee and not allowing yourself to be intimidated it’s a start. It might not sound much but ppl didn’t think their individual vote would count for much.....until a coupla years ago:t:

Good birding -

Laurie -

I had no idea UK had to pay to watch TV!

Wow, I've lived in the USA all my life and never heard that people living in the UK had to buy a TV license to watch TV. I visited London (loved visiting!) last year and still never heard about the TV license.

Here in the US we don't have to buy a TV license. In most areas in the US depending on where you live all you need to watch TV is an over the air roof top or set top antenna and a TV. The antennas cost as little as $20 USD. Where I live receive about 20 HD digital channels completely for free. However, only about 6 of those channels broadcast our major network TV such as ABC, CBS and NBC

To receive sport channels (ESPN) or channels like Science or Discovery you have to subscribe to a cable or satellite TV service package which cost anywhere from $50 to $200 / month depending on how many channels you want and there a hundreds of channels to choose from.

With all that said the old school broadcast TV channels are realizing that more and more people in the US aren't watching TV anymore and are just streaming whatever they want to watch on Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, etc. IMO if TV companies don't move over their content to streaming services they are really going to go the way of the dodo!

Cheers from across the pond! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back