• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do common and Brünnich`s Guillemot hybridise? (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
This photo shows some Guillemots in New Foundland from the breeding season 2011. The left one has a thicker bill, but it doesn't look like a pure breed Brünnich's to me, but it differs from the right hand Common Guillemot.
The bill is different and the feet have a nice mustard pattern to them.

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC_2881_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_2881_edited-1.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 143
Possibly the fire-shortening angle of the bill on the second bird that’s giving that impression?

Cheers

Thanks everyone, for your quick answers. Yes the bridled Guillemot is not a subspecies AFAIK, but rather an interesting variation that looks like they are wearing spectacles. The reason I asked, is every day I put different species up as a background picture on my desk top. Today's photo is the Common Guillemot, so I used one of the bridled photos that I had.
Thanks for the link Andy. Sounds like they are having fun with their wards!

^ Very interesting links.

In "Great Auk Islands" Tim Birkhead mentions a bird seen during his studies in Labrador which he is certain was a hybrid.

I've seen the stripey feet thing on a few Common Guillemots in the UK, both bridled and non bridled. Some have had almost black feet with just faint hints of yellow stripes but at the other extreme I have seen one bird whose feet were mainly yellow with just small black stripes, although with black webs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back