• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kites. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.

I've just been down to Reading for the weekend to visit my son and his family. On the way, the M40 didn't let me down yet again: I had super sightings of two Buzzards, one in flight, and one perched in a tree about 30 yards from where the other one landed.
My son's garden is regularly overflown by Kites and I had some great views of them. The area in which they live was, before building began many years ago, a beautiful valley full of trees, many of which remain to this day, so he gets some decent birds visiting, but none so striking as the Kites. I saw several passes at differing heights and distances, the best being just as I was leaving, when one of them drifted lazily down the valley and flew over the garden at a height of no more that 50ft. Quite breathtaking! A Sparrowhawk also overflew carrying prey.
My son's sister-in-law lives not too far away, and her garden is regularly visited by up to 4 Kites at a time. She has started throwing chicken portions onto the roof and they come and take them. Guess where I'm going on my next visit?

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Baz,
We called at view point a couple of years ago,I/m not sure wether that was on the M40, any way when we left we passed through a village and someone there had got Kites in their garden. I think if I were you I too would be inviting myself to see them, what a bird to have on your garden list.
Sounds as though you had a super weekend, raptors to me are quite special.
Regards
George

Hi Baz and George,

Yes what a garden tick they would be! :t:

It sounds a great place to live Baz, waking up in the morning to kites overhead, brilliant! We went to Gigrin farm to see the Kites earlier in the year, awesome aren't they! :D

Your Son's sister -in -law had better watch that she doesn't become as famous as Gigrin for feeding the Kites 3:)

Best Wishes

Hello Baz,

They never fail you there do they? The one we had down here that Sue saw and I missed (by being on Exmoor at the time) seems to have gone to other places. There have been no sightings for at least 3 weeks now, but I still live in hope.

I've only ever seen our local kites, so never more than two at once. It must be quite a spectacle to see a group. I would defiitely wanting to go see them being fed in your son's sister-in-law's garden.

Still, just a single kite is an impressive bird, especially when seen as close as you did. Really nice colours and so majestic in flight. Brilliant, and thanks for telling us about it.

Hu Baz The M40 is my favourite Red Kite viewing area, we drive Liverpool to Hastings regularly, and one of our pleasures is a little competition to see how many Red Kites we can see after Oxford services, last time it was two on outward run and eight on return, our best count was fourteen in one direction in september 2005. Lovely birds, makes the trip exciting.

Good Birding PeterK

Hi Baz,

Just goes to show doesn't it. I used to travel the M40 (and environs) regularly way back before the Kite prog got under way, so never saw a thing; my only 2 sightings were in Mid-Wales. Now they're a 'garden' bird!

Great stuff mate, Bill

PAM :- People tend to get blase about things after a while, but I couldn't see myself doing so about Kites in my garden. The Kites actually land in her trees within 70-80 ft. of the house, but she hasn't a single photo.
There's no chance of Hannah emulating Gigrin, she'd charge too much.

WENDY :- I don't see how the Kites could possibly avoid moving into your county eventually. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later for you.

Chris :- I'm going to become her agent, so if you want to see them for a not insubstantial fee, send me a PM. LOL!!!

PETER :- I'd love to have been on your Sept. 2005 journey; but not driving; my passengers would have been nervous wrecks after a few miles.

BILL:- It's amazing how people like Hannah seem to get these wonderful sightings and visits when she's not really interested in birds. Her dad put her up to the feeding. The Kites had been visiting the garden and landing in the trees long before she began feeding them.

All the best to you all.
Baz.

BazR said:
PAM :- People tend to get blase about things after a while, but I couldn't see myself doing so about Kites in my garden. The Kites actually land in her trees within 70-80 ft. of the house, but she hasn't a single photo.
There's no chance of Hannah emulating Gigrin, she'd charge too much.

WENDY :- I don't see how the Kites could possibly avoid moving into your county eventually. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later for you.

Chris :- I'm going to become her agent, so if you want to see them for a not insubstantial fee, send me a PM. LOL!!!

PETER :- I'd love to have been on your Sept. 2005 journey; but not driving; my passengers would have been nervous wrecks after a few miles.

BILL:- It's amazing how people like Hannah seem to get these wonderful sightings and visits when she's not really interested in birds. Her dad put her up to the feeding. The Kites had been visiting the garden and landing in the trees long before she began feeding them.

All the best to you all.
Baz.
Aw I feel like little billy no mates
George

George Garner said:
Aw I feel like little billy no mates
George

Oh George can I be your mate? Tell you what let's go for a drink B :) B :) , there that's better ;)

I am sure it is an oversight by Baz and that he will buy drinks all round :D :D

Best Wishes George,

Your new mate

Pam_m said:
Oh George can I be your mate? Tell you what let's go for a drink B :) B :) , there that's better ;)

I am sure it is an oversight by Baz and that he will buy drinks all round :D :D

Best Wishes George,

Your new mate
Thanks for that Pam if ever we meet it will be buying you a drink
George

Hi George and Pam.
There, there now; don't go taking on so George. LOL!! Pam's quite right, it definitely was an oversight; if I could get my long arms into my even deeper pockets, I certainly would buy you a drink. But steady on young Pamela: drinks all round, I'm going faint at the thought of it.
You are right George, it was a good raptor weekend even though birding was the furthest thing from my mind - he lied in case his wife reads this - and I will certainly be paying a visit to Hannah's garden in subsequent visits.

All the very best.
Baz.

BazR said:
Hi George and Pam.
There, there now; don't go taking on so George. LOL!! Pam's quite right, it definitely was an oversight; if I could get my long arms into my even deeper pockets, I certainly would buy you a drink. But steady on young Pamela: drinks all round, I'm going faint at the thought of it.
You are right George, it was a good raptor weekend even though birding was the furthest thing from my mind - he lied in case his wife reads this - and I will certainly be paying a visit to Hannah's garden in subsequent visits.

All the very best.
Baz.
Hi Baz,
I had realized it was an oversite, and of course you are let off with the drinks LOL.
Best Wishes
George

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back