• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 70 - 300 zoom lens (1 Viewer)

ChazW

Hi everybody,

Do any of you kind folks have any thoughts re suitability of the Nikon 70 - 300 ED lens used with a 1.4 teleconvertor on my D200 camera?

Theoretically I think this would give a max focal length of approx 640mm.

Is this combination likely to give difficulty when using autofocus?

Thanks

Chaz o:D

Depends on the max f number. Nikons will have trouble with AF above f6 ish, so with a convertor you will almost certainly lose AF facility, unless its a really good f4 or so. Make sure you have the latest firmware btw, the AF is often improved quite a lot with it (it made an enourmous difference on my D70 anyway).

Hi,

I have no problem with AF with a 70-300ED +Kenko 1.4X converter on my D70S, but this combo is not quite as sharp or saturated as my 80-400VR. The AF speed and amount of hunting in poor light is about the same with both.

I'm thinking of getting a Tamron 200-500 as well.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back