• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

One of the reasons I enjoy these pages is how differently we all feel, the more I look at the pictures the uglier it gets....
I am not sure I would call NL ugly but in some photos the image is like one you see of yourself walking past those strange mirrors at fairs that make you look super-fat or pinched in the middle.....

Jayne Mansfield has got nothing on the svelte hourglass shape of this bin ! :eek!::eek!: :cat: :-O

They may even have consulted with Tesla the bin is that futuristically S3XY .... !

Chosun :gh:

I am not sure I would call NL ugly but in some photos the image is like one you see of yourself walking past those strange mirrors at fairs that make you look super-fat or pinched in the middle.

It will probably look different in real life.

Lee

Oh Troub, you are so in denialo:)

J

A few unconnected observations ...

... on the NL:

1. There do appear to be a few influencers in this thread, trying to push the NL.

2. Nobody knows how the NL will perform in the field, and yet many people appear to take it for granted it will be the best binocular around. What a joke! How good it really is and whether there are any hidden flaws (like veiling glare ...) will only become clear once they've been on the market for at least a few months.

3. The fact Swarovski apparently changed the closest focusing distance of the 42mm SVs may have two reasons: They want to downgrade the SV so that more people will buy the NL, OR they want to make the focuser of the SV more reliable by simplifying it. (Yes, there are still NEW 42mm SVs around that have problems with the focuser.)

4. A lot of people seem to take it for granted that the headrest will stabilize the binoculars A LOT. I'm sure it will make SOME difference, but I doubt it'll be a really large difference. And it will add to the weight of already heavy binoculars.

BTW, does anyone know of any trustworthy studies into the effects of a headrest in handheld binoculars? I couldn't find any, not even in the old literature.

Hermann

... on the NL:

1. There do appear to be a few influencers in this thread, trying to push the NL.

This has been mentioned more than once here and elsewhere. Who do people think these 'influencers' are ? Are any of them those H**T** type people - and just what exactly do they do with their spare hand !?! :eek!: :stuck: :h?:

As far as I can see, there may only be one member here that seems to be pushing - and that seems to be against ! whilst standing neck deep in a river in Egypt wearing tinted glasses ! :-O 3:)
4. A lot of people seem to take it for granted that the headrest will stabilize the binoculars A LOT. I'm sure it will make SOME difference, but I doubt it'll be a really large difference. And it will add to the weight of already heavy binoculars.

BTW, does anyone know of any trustworthy studies into the effects of a headrest in handheld binoculars? I couldn't find any, not even in the old literature.

Hermann

The big assumption here is that people actually have steady heads - and I'm not sure that's the case ! :eek!: :cat: B :)

I don't think I've seen a weight listed for the optional head rest - given the substantial weight of the binoculars - I hope it is filled with helium ! o:)

... on the NL:

1. There do appear to be a few influencers in this thread, trying to push the NL. There are thousands of satisfied users of Swarovski, so why not
be supportive of a reliable brand. No different to other new products

2. Nobody knows how the NL will perform in the field, and yet many people appear to take it for granted it will be the best binocular around. What a joke! How good it really is and whether there are any hidden flaws (like veiling glare ...) will only become clear once they've been on the market for at least a few months.Yes, sensible.

3. The fact Swarovski apparently changed the closest focusing distance of the 42mm SVs may have two reasons: They want to downgrade the SV so that more people will buy the NL, OR they want to make the focuser of the SV more reliable by simplifying it. (Yes, there are still NEW 42mm SVs around that have problems with the focuser.)Explanation in another thread regarding this issue

4. A lot of people seem to take it for granted that the headrest will stabilize the binoculars A LOT. I'm sure it will make SOME difference, but I doubt it'll be a really large difference. And it will add to the weight of already heavy binoculars.As you said, wait and see. Otherwise you are as guilty of jumping the gun and making unfounded assumptions. Maybe the improved stability will compensate the weight increase of this accessory

Hermann

Nothing wrong with being optimistic, excited and interested in a new product and concept - some even describing the looks as "sexy". What if it performs as good as it looks.

I currently own Zeiss and Leica but have owned Swarovski. Accordingly, I cannot think of a Swarovski optic that I have been unimpressed with.

Regards.

So far, nothing has come along in the last 7 years to make me want to replace my somewhat old 10x42 Zeiss HT.
But I really like the new Swarovski 12x42 NL Pure.
I don't think their hourglass figure is as handsome as my HT but they look good enough and love the field of view.
Like the new forehead stabilizer too. (can I call it that ? |=)|)

Heck, if I got a pair, I could still consider them 1/2 Zeiss as they have my favorite Zeiss like focus wheel and Schott glass. :t:
Of course, some people thought the SF was 1/2 Swarovski. |;|
I wonder how long it will take Zeiss to respond to Swarovski's new NL Pure line.
How long do you think it will take, Lee ?

Having had a Zeiss HT for equally as long, when I saw the NL my first impression was ...hey, that's the HT!!!!... In some ways I feel the HT has been bashed thru the years since the SF was so quick to follow and the HT was placed on the discontinued list. But now we have the HT all over. I suppose now the large easy to use focus wheel won't be 'as ugly'....the elongated body as ugly, etc... so a rebirth of the HT and to top it off, the HT has 'min focus', essentially same weight, size....better light transmission, but yes....much less FOV.

Last edited:
So with all this "HOOPLAH" about cheapening up the EL 10X42's with longer MFD, I am going to run over to BASS PRO this afternoon and pick me up a pair of "OLD MODEL" Ones to go along with my EL10x42 FP Rangefinder's and EL 12X50 FP Bins.. They also have a nice $600.00 off plus a 10% special today for in store only customers on anything in the store... I sure do not want to be left out on these old models..!

CB70A589-9077-483E-B216-A3591B3F6B0A.jpeg

Mmmmmm, so I am a influencer. That means I am mucho macho importante. I was never called like that.
Thanks for the compliment folks.
I hope I can live up to your standards;)
We'll meet again coming Thursday where we will test the NL beyond its limits (assumed there are any).
Stay tuned on BF

Jan the Man

If I had access to the 3D printers I’d have a go making up a head rest for other bins.. see how stable you can get without the need for batteries.
“Influencers”... be better to toss a few evaluation units in the direction of various forum users with wide experience and forum respect..... if the product dies as they claim then the outcome would be some very solid recommendations.

Peter

Looks like the EL FP 8X30's are also on sale too at Bass Pro too... Any comments on the EL FP 8X30's anyone before I snag a pair of these too..

Looks like the EL FP 8X30's are also on sale too at Bass Pro too... Any comments on the EL FP 8X30's anyone before I snag a pair of these too..

The 8 x 32 EL Field Pro is a fantastic binocular and has been commented to the nth degree on here. The only negative I've taken note of is that some do not like the strap design. Why delay, unless you have ideas about the Zeiss SF 32, then it will be the NL Pure 32 in a couple of years.

Deal today if the price is attractive, as many companies are cash strapped and fighting to stay alive. And Swarovski may follow in reducing the close focus on the 32mm but who really knows at the moment.

Look forward to Van der Robocop's review soon, especially how the forehead rest works for him.

Last edited:
Maybe Chosun will finally, finally upgrade from the much touted Zen Ray.

Andy W.

I will certainly have a look at the NL - the 70+° AFOV's are very enticing.

It will be nigh on impossible though, to displace the virtually perfect (for me) ergonomics of the Zen. Besides, when the head honchos at Swarovski look through the Zen's, raise an eyebrow and take pause of breath, and go jeeeeeez ....... then you know there's hardly anything to be gained in the centre third of the view.

The only bins which come ergonomically close are the 10x50 SV (which is not what I want hanging around my neck) , or the Nikon Monarch HG which is nice, but not compelling. Had I encountered the MHG before the Zen, then I'm sure I'd be quite happily using the Nikon, and likewise finding it difficult to displace.

So while I'm sure the NL will be a WOW ! view (full disclosure - I'm not a paid influencer ! :) that will give lots of pause for thought - even that won't sway the equation.

That NL/SF/HT contrived hands forward position just doesn't appeal to me - let alone that weight for a 42mm.

A full on custom though ...... well, hmmmmm :eat:

Well, a good thing Zeiss triggered a race on better FOV and ergonomics.

The Victory SF had the same product manager (Gerald Dobbler) and optical designer (Konrad Seil) as the EL SV.

So with this tremendous amount of chatter, how many are in for the new NL Pure..?

I just converted my Zeiss 8x32 SF preorder to a NL Pure 8x42, it's only £305 or 15% more. Now I need to figure out what to do with my EL SV 8.5x42 pre-fieldpro. Probably give them to my dad, who still has 1980s vintage Nikon 9x32 D CF.

That is actually a super impressive performance, maintaining a world class binocular business on a revenue base of way less than $200mm.

The Sports Optics market is not that large. By all accounts they dominate the high-end that used to be the preserve of Zeiss and Leica. Service and warranty has a lot to do with it, quite frankly I was underwhelmed with the sloth of Zeiss service when a screw came loose inside an almost brand new HT. It took them 10 weeks, and I got the Swarovski in the meantime and never looked back.

It's refreshing to see a move away from double bridge in their flagship binocular. Having pushed Zeiss and Leica to follow they're switching back to a more traditional look which is good to see.

I absolutely loathe the open-bridge design, which is why I took so long to yield and get the EL SV. I am very happy they ditched it, and sad to see Zeiss and Leica still saddled with it.

I just wish it had traditional strap eyelets instead of the proprietary FieldPro system.

I buy pretty much all my Camera Equipment from B&H and who would you consider for Bins and optics..? I see B&H has lots of Optics but bought all my optics fro Adorama...

Optics Planet often has good deals, I bought my Zeiss 8x42 HT at a substantial discount from them, but they are not a Swarovski authorized dealer.

B&H and Adorama are both good, and Adorama have their own equivalent of Amazon Prime, the VIP360 plan. Unfortunately their shipping to the UK is very steep.

As far as I know he works for the amsterdam police and is good at martial arts! o:D

Is that an Amsterdam Cops (Grijpstra & De Gier) reference?

The 8 x 32 EL Field Pro is a fantastic binocular and has been commented to the nth degree on here. The only negative I've taken note of is that some do not like the strap design.

They are said to have poor baffling and be very susceptible to flare, though.

If I had access to the 3D printers I’d have a go making up a head rest for other bins.. see how stable you can get without the need for batteries.

I have a Prusa i3 MK3S. What binoculars were you thinking of designing this for? If the EL SV 8.5x42, Ultravid 8x42 or Zeiss HT 8x42, I'd be happy to print one for you and one for myself.

“Influencers”... be better to toss a few evaluation units in the direction of various forum users with wide experience and forum respect..... if the product dies as they claim then the outcome would be some very solid recommendations.

I assume you meant "does", not "dies"...

Reviews like Lee's certainly carry a lot of weight on this forum, but I don't see influencer marketing as common in the sports optics market. Kind of strange, as younger people are well represented in outdoors activities like hiking, and influencer marketing is geared towards younger demographics.

Last edited:
The 8 x 32 EL Field Pro is a fantastic binocular and has been commented to the nth degree on here. The only negative I've taken note of is that some do not like the strap design. Why delay, unless you have ideas about the Zeiss SF 32, then it will be the NL Pure 32 in a couple of years.

Deal today if the price is attractive, as many companies are cash strapped and fighting to stay alive. And Swarovski may follow in reducing the close focus on the 32mm but who really knows at the moment.

Look forward to Van der Robocop's review soon, especially how the forehead rest works for him.

I just called Bass Pro and had them set me 2 new pairs of Bins aside as I will be over their in a couple hours. Both EL's were on sale and "THE OLD MODELS". EL FP 8 x 32 and EL FP 10 X 42's.. Quite a substantial sale with there 4th of July Big Bang Sale.....

... on the NL:

Hermann

I agree. My 2 cents:
Simple test to do:
Put one of your finger tip on your forehead, press, and try to move your finger up and down.

Now, we have quite a clear idea about the efficiency of this headrest.

(And no, I'm not laughing at the idea of everyone doing this while reading this post ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back