• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2013 (1 Viewer)

You could have a "Float Around" list.........birds seen on and from The Peregrine!:t: It is after all your home.

Yes, that, I know, has some good birds in it!

This year would be a pretty skimpy list because a lot of it will be pelagic. I got a great pelagic book, and am looking forward to some unique birding, but I know I'm in for some frustration. A sailboat is not like one of the big boats that people take for pelagic tours. Our boat heels in the wind and has a lot of up and down motion if there are even small swells. Even if you can over come that, just as you get the bird in the bins, it flys behind the sail as it does a horizon job. Also, every one of those petrels looks the same even in the book where it doesn't move.;)
Sue

Last edited:
Managed to push past the half century this weekend, still missing some easy ones though!

For us to appreciate this a little, maybe you could add a few details about the garden - part of Britain, overlooking what, etc. Given the Little Auk et al, I am guessing it isn't an inner city urban 10 square metre affair :-O

The dearth continues here, but raptors were present this morning, including...

36 : Sparrowhawk quickly through.

Later a brief call & even briefer view..

37 : Treecreeper.

An unknown bunting flew over against the sun.

Last edited:
MEGA!!!!!!!!! --

52) Robin

(Actually, not a mega ;) . Picked up in a distant field - red-breast barely discernible, making it look slightly more interesting ... )

For us to appreciate this a little, maybe you could add a few details about the garden - part of Britain, overlooking what, etc. Given the Little Auk et al, I am guessing it isn't an inner city urban 10 square metre affair :-O

You got it in one Jos, I live in the centre of Birmingham and have a wee garden pond :-O

Na, I live on the east coast of Norfolk and although I have a wee garden my patio doors over look some sand dunes, scrub and the sea.

52) Great Northern Diver

43. Lesser Frigatebird (60th spp for house). Single circling over Yorkeys Knob this afternoon in moderate winds.
44. Silver Gull (61st spp for house).

Last edited:
44. Silver Gull (61st spp for house).

I saw one of those...a few years back in St.James's Park London..came in with the Winter Black headed Gulls (possible Eastern European origin?) and went out with them for 2 years running..but then went AWOL.

Totally threw me..couldn't compute it!..eventually saw one on the TV during an Aussie Test Match.

A smart bird.

43. Lesser Frigatebird (60th spp for house). Single circling over Yorkeys Knob this afternoon in moderate winds.
I'm jealous already! If you got better at IDing calls I reckon your garden list would be more like 70 by now!

I'm only 1 km inland but it makes all the difference. The strong winds of course brought a ton more good stuff your way this AM.;)

A female Accipter gentilis in leisurely direct flight, over the canopy circa 1pm. No.42.

:eek!: How frequent are they over London? Nice!

Added a new one last night ... Eventually managed to nail the half dozen screaming missiles as Common Swifts. In my dreams, literally.

On the invert front, first butterfly of the year was a Red Admiral flying past yesterday.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back