• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 8x33, ightening the central hinge (1 Viewer)

oetzi

The one thing which bothers me is the a-smidgen-too-loose hinge on my Kowa. I dont want to send it in, as another user from germany reported that Kowa will charge € 35,- to correct it. This plus postage two ways is too expensive for me right now.

Is there a way for a DIY?
I removed the cap from the tripod thread and found what you see in the picture: two holes and a small screw. Now I am speculating whether it would be possible to remove the screw and then tighten the hinge with a special tool (which I own) via the two holes.

Since I know nothing about binocular repair, I would like to know whether there is anything possible to go wrong when removing this screw, or if it makes sense at all.

Any ideas, please?

Attachments

• Kowa Gensis, central hinge.jpg
    Kowa Gensis, central hinge.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 172
There was a similar question just recently in the Bushnell forum : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2964619#post2964619.

I think my advice would still be the same :

1. check your warranty
2. contact Kowa and ask them yourself to fix it free of charge for you under warranty
3. if your warranty has expired (Kowa offer 10 years in the UK compared to limited lifetime elsewhere) ask them yourself how much it might cost to fix, if anything
4. keep in mind that you are their customer and be sure to remind them of that

And good luck.

Oetzi:

That is a common style of securing the hinge, and used by others such as
Nikon. You need a very small precision screwdriver and just loosen the screw.

Then get a proper pin wrench to tighten the hinge, using the other 2 holes.

I hope that works out for you. There have been posts on the site before, from
Frank and Steve about where to get the tools. Some watch shops use a pin wrench
to change batteries.

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry nailed it. Simple fix. I had to do the same thing with my Nikon M7 8x30.

You can get the tools a variety of places. I purchased mine through Amazon but I think Steve picked his up elsewhere.

Thanks a lot for the info!
My Father is into pre-war radios, so i have a multitude of these tools at hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back