• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Spirit ED 8x36, Disappointing (1 Viewer)

bearclawthedonut

Amazon recently offered the Vanguard Spirit ED 8x36 for $224.54 with a $50.00 Vanguard rebate (expired 6-30-12). So I ordered one as it piqued my interest with its 18.7 oz weight. Vanguard has recently gotten some good reviews on its Endeavor ED series of binoculars. So I was hoping...

Received it yesterday and it went back today. It is light, noticeably lighter weight than my Vortex Viper 8x32 (19.4 oz). It was also stiff, both the focus knob and the center hinge. Perhaps, they might loosen up in time? The focus knob is smooth metal with a ribbed rubber insert ring. The knob was so stiff that it felt like the rubber ring was about to be pushed out and off the knob as I tried to turn it. It was a far, far stiffer focus than either my Viper or my Monarch 8x42 (21.5 oz). Obviously, I like lightweight binoculars with smooth easy focusing.

Eye relief is listed at 17 mm and it may be, but the eyecups float above the ocular lens wasting 2 or 3 mm. Thus, it was barely adequate when looking straight ahead, but when looking up or down the eyerelief was not acceptable for my eyes behind my eyeglasses. It was the same with a Minox HG 8x33 that I tried (a couple of years ago) with specified 15 mm of eyerelief, however the Minox had better designed eyecups.

Brightness was good, but no better than my Viper 32. Resolution was not bad, but not great. While sitting on my porch I saw a small bird resting on bare branches with a bright, sunlight background atop a tree about 120 feet away. With the Vanguard 8x36 I could not identify the bird and the branches had an unusual yellowish glow. Trying my Viper 8x32, I clearly saw a red head, a finch beak and an unmarked breast/abdomen - a purple finch. The branches were covered in yellow-green moss. I then carefully repacked the Vanguard in its box for return to Amazon. I admit that I spent less than an hour trying to utilize the Vanguard, so maybe my determination was a bit unfair? Maybe I was hoping for too much? However, I found the Vanguard Spirit Ed 8x36 to be disappointing.

bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
and...

thanks for your review. I have wondered about the Vanguard in the x36. But when you wrote that the Vortex did a better job, it cemented in my mind anyway a desire to give the viper 8x32 HD a try. Thanks for sharing and hope that your next purchase is more pleasing.

John

Last edited:
John:

I have not yet tried the new Vortex Viper HD 8x32. I purchased my Viper after they were discontinued and appreciably marked down. Mine is a very good 32. But my Viper's weakest link (to me) is its ability to handle colors; although it did far out-shine the Vanguard Spirit ED in this respect. This is one of the areas that the new HD's are supposed to have improved upon. I suspect that you will be very pleased with a Viper HD. The best 8x32 that I've tried is the Zeiss Victory ($$$). Good luck.

Amazon recently offered the Vanguard Spirit ED 8x36 for $224.54 with a $50.00 Vanguard rebate (expired 6-30-12). So I ordered one as it piqued my interest with its 18.7 oz weight. Vanguard has recently gotten some good reviews on its Endeavor ED series of binoculars. So I was hoping...

Received it yesterday and it went back today. It is light, noticeably lighter weight than my Vortex Viper 8x32 (19.4 oz). It was also stiff, both the focus knob and the center hinge. Perhaps, they might loosen up in time? The focus knob is smooth metal with a ribbed rubber insert ring. The knob was so stiff that it felt like the rubber ring was about to be pushed out and off the knob as I tried to turn it. It was a far, far stiffer focus than either my Viper or my Monarch 8x42 (21.5 oz). Obviously, I like lightweight binoculars with smooth easy focusing.

Eye relief is listed at 17 mm and it may be, but the eyecups float above the ocular lens wasting 2 or 3 mm. Thus, it was barely adequate when looking straight ahead, but when looking up or down the eyerelief was not acceptable for my eyes behind my eyeglasses. It was the same with a Minox HG 8x33 that I tried (a couple of years ago) with specified 15 mm of eyerelief, however the Minox had better designed eyecups.

Brightness was good, but no better than my Viper 32. Resolution was not bad, but not great. While sitting on my porch I saw a small bird resting on bare branches with a bright, sunlight background atop a tree about 120 feet away. With the Vanguard 8x36 I could not identify the bird and the branches had an unusual yellowish glow. Trying my Viper 8x32, I clearly saw a red head, a finch beak and an unmarked breast/abdomen - a purple finch. The branches were covered in yellow-green moss. I then carefully repacked the Vanguard in its box for return to Amazon. I admit that I spent less than an hour trying to utilize the Vanguard, so maybe my determination was a bit unfair? Maybe I was hoping for too much? However, I found the Vanguard Spirit Ed 8x36 to be disappointing.

bearclawthedonut
bearclawthedonut-

We are very sorry that you didn’t like the Spirit ED 8 x 36 binoculars that you purchased on Amazon. However, we noticed that you compared them to the Vortex Viper 8x32. The Vortex Viper is a great pair of binoculars…but it is a little unfair to compare them to the Spirit ED, as the Viper costs nearly 2.5x more than the Spirit ED.

We would like to send you a pair of Endeavor ED 8 x 42 binoculars. They still cost $200 less than the Vortex Viper, but we are more than confident that you will not be disappointed.

What do you think?

Vanguard:

Thank you for your very generous offer; however, if you had read my entire post, then you would have understood that "... I like lightweight binoculars with smooth easy focusing." The key word here is "lightweight", I generally assume that all binoculars have (or should have) "smooth easy focusing". Thus, your very well received and very positively reviewed Endeavor Ed binoculars are not for me.

I was attracted to your Spirit ED 8x36's due to their weight, 18.7 oz, their 36 mm objectives (hoping that they would deliver more light on our many cloudy days here in Portland than my 32's) and yes, also their discounted price and rebate. Admittedly, my Vortex Viper sold for almost twice ($340) what I would have finally paid for your Spirit ED ($174.52); but their performance did disappoint. With a bright sky background, I could not see that a purple finches head was red with the Spirit ED 8x36's. I could clearly see the finches red head with my Viper 8x32's. And, I've alway felt that color handling, particularly CA was the poorest attribute of my Viper 32's.

bearclawthedonut

Thank you for your honesty bearclawthedonut. We very much value your opinion and hope that you give us the chance to change it in the future.

Understanding that opinions do vary, we want to share a few from OpticsReviewer.com. They recently reviewed the Spirit ED and said this about the binocular's color rendering and resolution...

"We found the Vanguard Spirit ED test binocular was good in being able to resolve details as well as most others in its price range which use extra-low dispersion (ED) glass for lenses. It's able to resolve details satisfyingly and we believe most users will enjoy this element.
The optical sweet spot is the area in the middle of the field of view for which resolution is usually particularly good due to curvature of lenses. Our test binocular gave sharp details from the center to a little more than 50% of the view's radius. The details started losing their distinctness at around 67% of the view's radius or, to say it differently, the view started to get fuzzy at about two thirds of the view's radius. That's not to say that you can't still see things in the "fuzzy" area, but rather to say that you may not be able to see the amount of detail you desire at that point. If you're holding the binocular by hand, it's usually easier to accommodate this by moving the binocular to keep the desired view centered and sharply resolved than if you're using the binocular on a tripod."

"Overall, we found the color rendering to be rich and, other than the barely noticeable yellow aspect, balanced."

The full review and be seen here: http://www.opticsreviewer.com/vanguard-spirit-ed.html

Vanguard:

I strongly encourage you to continue development of lightweight quality binoculars. I have seen no information regarding the material used for the body of your Spirit ED series; however, I have assumed it to be polycarbonate. That is not something to be ashamed of - that's to be celebrated! Polycarbonate offers strength and light weight. It does NOT have the many faults of magnesium. Magnesium dissolves in saltwater. Magnesium is hard, but brittle, it does not deflect. In order to have sufficient strength (so it will not fail during normal usagege) for a double hinged/open bridge binocular the thickness of magnesium must be increased to the point were the resulting weight is greater than the same design executed in aluminum. Thus, negating magnesiums lightweight advantage. Additionally, magnesium is more difficult to machine and is more costly.

True, polycarbonate has the difficulties of deforming and expansion/contraction. However, Nikon (the Monarch series) has obviously found a way to overcome these issues. Make a polycarbonate frame binocular and put the highest quality lenses and prisms in it with the best coatings and I will certainly be interested.

In regard to the 8x36 Spirit ED that I received, it's certainly possible that it was defective and not representative of all Spirit EDs. I have never handled any other binocular that had focusing anywhere near as stiff. It's possible that I was unable to focus the binocular to its best effect because of that stiffness. My suggestion is to uniformly test your product prior to shipping.

bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not the only one to find the Vanguard Spirit ED 8x42 useful.

Very lightweight for its size (640g). Very good smooth and fast focusing which is very useful if wearing gloves during cold weather ; useful for work during the snow when there is a lot of reflected light even at dusk.

Very good low light performance. Lots of eye relief. Lenses have an external HydroGuard hydrophobic coating which actually works ; I took these out on a late November afternoon, dusk brought fog and a little light drizzle, packed it in about 45 minutes after sunset and despite getting wet the lenses required only a brief blowbrush the next morning.

If your binocular viewing includes glassing overhead powerlines at a grand set against a bright blue sky then you may well experience, despite the ED glass, some colour fringing with these binoculars, for me there is evident green and it is noticeable at distance (the lens coatings target green in colour spectrum), but close up in the sweet spot, and in low light where they excel, there is none.

I bought a set of these in preference to the Minox BV 8x42 BR, better build quality, better coatings & ED glass, smoother handling, and far lighter. Value is what you think it is and for me a good buy with the limited lifetime warranty, despite the fussy strap.

The Spirit ED 8x43, and was the Endeavour ED I tried last August were good for CD and overall performance, but I've seen other pairs with miscellaneous QC problems in the past. From the reports over the last two or three years I'd figure Vanguard are getting their act together and definitely worth checking out. Find a good one (at current prices) and you might find a bargain, though I'm sure there are still there are still duds about.

David

Tried one and cried (again and again).

How can you agree with my review of my binocular when you haven't looked through it ??

What appears green to me, which it certainly is, may appear to be something else to you, as afterall you tried a different unit.

These are not the best binoculars I own but they are certainly useful and within the price range they represent very good value.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not the only one to find the Vanguard Spirit ED 8x42 useful......

I know this thread is somewhat old, but I had the opportunity today to have a quick squizz with the 8x42 Spirit ED's out in the field. For what they were, I was impressed..... :t:

What they were was narrow field (6.3degrees), but pin sharp with good focus. The narrow field seemed mostly well corrected in the brief, casual, uncritical look I had with them and clear. Colour rendition seemed fairly neutral in the brief time I spent with them. ER seemed ok for me and my eyeglasses. Detail resolution was very good. Brightness was good. I didn't spend enough time with them in the appropriate conditions to form an opinion on CA control.

Briefly, they were perhaps a smidge less bright than the Zen ED3's, but every bit as sharp (maybe moreso? I will have to double check), which puts them as sharp as the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED .......... impressive!

Chosun :gh:

I had another brief opportunity today to compare the Vanguard 8x42 Spirit ED in the field against my Zen-Ray ED3 8X43's.

First thing to notice was that the Vanguards are not as bright as the Zen's. This is quite visible.

The next thing to notice is that in comparison the Vanguard's have a reddish colour bias. (The Zen's peak somewhere in the green/ yellow, and so are perceptably brighter as well, also aided by the bigger Fov too).

The colours seemed more vibrant through the Zen's, but then again that is what we were mostly looking at - green tree canopys.

I offer no opinion of the Spirit ED's CA control as conditions and time were not conducive. I can however tell you that over a span of years, I have found the Zen's CA control is very very good, and I would rate myself quite sensitive to the aberration.

As far as my initial resolution impressions go, the Vanguard's seemed less sharp this time round, with less depth of field than on my first acquaintance. Ultimately they are comparable to the Zen's. (*NB. I had been birding with the Zen's for half an hour prior, and on this unit I feel there may be some resolution or view discrepancy between barrels and my eyes ..... so maybe my eyes had done some wierd adjusto thing for the Zen's which made the view through the Vanguard's different on this occassion - just a thought - it was all very casj ..... :)

The Vanguard owner had never seen a Zen before, and on first time up to the eyes came out with a "Wow - these are good!"

Considering the Vanguard Spirit ED's are somewhat less than half the ask for the Zen's I still feel they are pretty good for what they are. The owner said control of CA to his eyes was good too.

So, if budget was a crucial factor the Spirit ED's would fit the bill - otherwise a check of the latest Vanguard Endeavor may be in order - especially if a deal is on offer as seems to happen quite frequently in the States, or a definite step up to the Zen ED3's is well worth it IMHO. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back