• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski CTH head ?? (1 Viewer)

Apart from the design the Swarovski DTH fluid head is identical to the Gitzo GHF2W but you have to pay a 50% premium for the little silver hawk. ;)
Hence, I bought the GHF2W for my ATX 95/65. So far I am perfectly satisfied.

GITZO GIMBAL GHFG1 Head

Apart from the design the Swarovski DTH fluid head is identical to the Gitzo GHF2W but you have to pay a 50% premium for the little silver hawk. ;)
Hence, I bought the GHF2W for my ATX 95/65. So far I am perfectly satisfied.

Hello,

I would go with the original GITZO Gimbal Head GHFG1 (495 EUR, Foto Erhard Germany). It is in the price range of the SWAROVSKI DTH (450 EUR, official SWAROVSKI price) and much more versatile. I sold the other head since I am using the GITZO GIMBAL (identical with the SWAROVSKI PTH) only. Much smoother and accurate movements than anything else out there.
A bit more heavy or bulky but worth it.

You need a good tripod, such as a GITZO Mountaineer or Systematic though.

I am sure that this is also all available in Oceania.

Thanks
Michael

Hello, I would go with the original GITZO Gimbal Head GHFG1 (...) (identical with the SWAROVSKI PTH) only. Much smoother and accurate movements than anything else out there. (...)
The Gitzo and Swarovski (made by Gitzo) gimbal heads are really excellent, no question, but design aside they still are not exactly identical. As you can see (and read, but in German only) here: https://augenblickeeingefangen.blog/2017/07/12/zwillingsbrueder/ the Gitzo GHFG1 with its larger mounting base provides sufficient space for tele lenses with diameters up to 132 mm (e.g. a 2.8/300) while the slimmer Swarovski PTH is restricted to scopes or photo lenses with a maximum diameter of 90 mm.

The Gitzo and Swarovski (made by Gitzo) gimbal heads are really excellent, no question, but design aside they still are not exactly identical. As you can see (and read, but in German only) here: https://augenblickeeingefangen.blog/2017/07/12/zwillingsbrueder/ the Gitzo GHFG1 with its larger mounting base provides sufficient space for tele lenses with diameters up to 132 mm (e.g. a 2.8/300) while the slimmer Swarovski PTH is restricted to scopes or photo lenses with a maximum diameter of 90 mm.

For what I meant they are almost the same. There are some more small differences as those mentioned in that quite valuable report. Anyhow, I tested both before buying and found them functionally similar what the carrying of a spotting scope is concerned. I liked the fit and finish of the GITZO GHFG1 better. My decision was made on that, not on price. It is a ity that GITZO does not offer a balance rail. The original SWARO is not compatible to my KOWA TSN 883 PROMINAR by a fracture of a millimeter.

Thanks
Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back