• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad experience with Zeiss ED 8x25 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello
I have been able to use the little Zeiss for a few days, and the only thing I can say is that I have used some 8x25 times a third cheaper and with a better image and correction ..
The focus wheel, hard and very inaccurate, throughout its journey is unable to achieve a clear focus, the image is better focused, sharp and clear in the upper left corner, not in the middle of the field of vision ... the rest of the field the whole image remains as cloudy, unfocused, loses luminosity not on the edge but in the center and in its surroundings ...
What do you think?
Guided by the good reviews here ... and look, I think I may have touched the worst specimen of the brand, I thought that Zeiss had a good control in this regard ..
What a disappointment!!
Wachi

From your thread title, I take it you are writing about the Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED. I have looked at about 10 of those at this point and found quite a bit of sample variation, but many were first generation production. Supposedly (according to Zeiss USA customer service), Zeiss became aware of the problem and has addressed quality control issues with recent production.

I think the Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED is an OK choice as a budget buy, and it makes a nice kid's bin, but overall I'm not impressed with it. Too much off-axis astigmatism, just to name one thing I dislike. If you like your bins to be optically outstanding, I wouldn't waste time w/this model. Even a cherry unit will be a piece of cr*p, IMHO, compared to a properly manufactured Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. It's a quantum leap upward in optical quality.

--AP

I wonder where you are obtaining your units. Are they new in box, or returns? Are they old stock from the original production, or are they new production? The original production came in a white and clear plastic display box and did not include a proper case, just a soft cloth sack. The newest production (at least in the USA) is packaged in a decorative box with a magnetic closure, and comes with a semi-hard clamshell case. The newer version of the bin has the word "Japan" molded into the rubber armor in small print near the hinge on the underside. The Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED can be a perfectly fine binocular, as pocket roofs go. I got a good one after two returns to Zeiss for replacement.

--AP

Wachi,

I understand your frustration, I have gone through it myself. Here are two other options. If someone you know and trust is selling one - such as on this forum, that would be the one to get. I know others who have gone through this with the same model, and that is what they did.
The other option is if you really want a small portable glass, the new Victory also bought used is another option, more money, but much better optics. So just keep your eyes out, one will come along.

Andy W.

Keep looking, who knows you may score a great deal on a Victory 8X25. If I were looking for a small 8X, that would be the one.

Andy W.

Best , then, than the Leicas Pocket 8X and Swarovski Pocket 8X ?....I have read that these two have a fantastic image, with a fabulous contrast and an amazing clarity .
Wachi

Wachi,

There is a difference with the new 8X25s and the previously made 8/10X20s. The eyecups on those earlier models could fit a squirrel very well, I could never take the time to get perfect eye placement. The new 8X25s, Zeiss Victory and Swarovski, (I have not seen the new Leica UVs, so no comment on them) are much easier to use, easier eye-placement/better eyecups, plus 5mm more aperture. For some - not me, they will replace the 8X32. They are both premier glass with prices of $700 and up new. Either one would serve you well. But if you want to save $$ look for either one used or try to get a good sample of a Zeiss Terra 8X25 used for half the price of a used Victory or swaro.

Andy W.

Best , then, than the Leicas Pocket 8X and Swarovski Pocket 8X ?....I have read that these two have a fantastic image, with a fabulous contrast and an amazing clarity .
Wachi

The Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is much better than the Leica 8x20 Ultravid. I suspect, based on reports, that it is better than the Swarovski 8x25. Certainly, the Zeiss has better specifications than the Swarovski.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back