• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seabirds around Devon (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Got a couple of days sailing from Plymouth in a few weeks (late June). Obviously the weather can lead to all sorts of variables for both how far out to sea I get and what’s around but does anyone have a general idea of what sea birds would be most likely.

The colonies should be in full swing so foraging Razorbill, Guillemot, Shag, Cormorant, Kittiwake, Fulmar and Gannet aplenty I imagine. Oh and terns (Common, Sandwich, slight chance of Arctic, Roseate or Little). Not a seabird but Peregrine is always a nice inshore waters spectacle and also quite a common one these days.

Puffin are uncommon and Black Guillemot rare around that area I believe. The peak season for Skuas and Shearwaters is later in summer (Aug-Sep) but would have thought there will be Manx Shearwater around and chance of something rarer. The worse/more inshore the weather conditions are, the better the chance of an open-ocean bird, but worse conditions for viewing. Have a good time!

thanks a lot for the info, sounds like a nice mix of stuff, nothing I haven't seen this year from dry land but it's always great to see them on the water. Got some more planned from falmouth in august which presumably would be better for petrel, shearwaters and the like.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back