• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

videoscoping thru a meade etx-90 scope (1 Viewer)

Greetings,

I'm back after an extended absence and now resuming my videoscoping efforts. Not having a lot of spare money, I've been trying to make do on the modest equipment I already own. Last spring I was lucky to find a Cooper's Hawk nest in a local cemetery that was in a good spot to try for some video. The combo which gave me the most encouraging results was an old Canon Optura 200MC minidv camcorder coupled by a step ring to a 32mm Orion eyepiece and a Meade ETX-90 scope (the eyepiece and scope I normally use for digiscoping). Here is a sample of the efforts. http://media.putfile.com/Oak-Hill-Coopers-Hawk77. Could probably get rid of the vinetting by using another eyepiece or maybe a different video camera. Remember this was just a first effort sortof quick and easy attempt. The camera has a 10X optical zoom. I had the camcorder zoomed all the way out to wide angle. This yielded about 39X for the setup. I tried zooming on up, but the vinetting was worse until you reached the highest zoom. Surprisingly the bird was still reasonably sharp even at this ungodly power, but vibrations and thermal noise were evident. I have some more things in mind to try when I get time.

Rick

bluedubius said:
Greetings,

I'm back after an extended absence and now resuming my videoscoping efforts. Not having a lot of spare money, I've been trying to make do on the modest equipment I already own. Last spring I was lucky to find a Cooper's Hawk nest in a local cemetery that was in a good spot to try for some video. The combo which gave me the most encouraging results was an old Canon Optura 200MC minidv camcorder coupled by a step ring to a 32mm Orion eyepiece and a Meade ETX-90 scope (the eyepiece and scope I normally use for digiscoping). Here is a sample of the efforts. http://media.putfile.com/Oak-Hill-Coopers-Hawk77. Could probably get rid of the vinetting by using another eyepiece or maybe a different video camera. Remember this was just a first effort sortof quick and easy attempt. The camera has a 10X optical zoom. I had the camcorder zoomed all the way out to wide angle. This yielded about 39X for the setup. I tried zooming on up, but the vinetting was worse until you reached the highest zoom. Surprisingly the bird was still reasonably sharp even at this ungodly power, but vibrations and thermal noise were evident. I have some more things in mind to try when I get time.

Rick

I have to say that your video is quite nice! I think you've inspired me to go out and try this with my cheapo grade mini-dv cam. I really enjoyed the video and the quality was great! Keep it up!

Hi from Canada, Rick
I enjoyed your video - watched it several times and e-mailed the link to a friend. It parallels the ones I've managed to get with a couple of Sony Digital8's (20x optical zoom), and a Pentax 80mm with a 40mm eyepiece (12x). I've got an ETX90 as well and the same 40mm eyepiece for visual work. That's the lowest magnification that I can go without the secondary protruding on the image. Have you tried a Scopetronics 40mm digiscoping eyepiece? The focal length of the Pentax is less than half of the ETX and it makes getting video easier because you can zoom in more to reduce the vignetting. I don't have any video saved to disk but I'd like to see more of your attempts. The closeups you can get are amazing aren't they? :)
I recently bought a TV-85 and am hoping to hook a camcorder to that.
Cheers,
Randy Hopkins

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back