• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon Camera 30D and New Lenses (1 Viewer)

baillieswells

I have just this minute received the following information from Canon.

21 February 2006
CANON'S SPRING COLLECTION
NEW CAMERA AND TWO LENSES
EOS 30D replaces the EOS 20D
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 is the first high-end EF-S lens
EF 85mm f1.2L USM iupdates the popular 1992 lens

More information can be found on: http://www.eos-magazine.com/

I'd noticed this - from what I've read it doesn't seem to be a huge step up from the 20D - I doubt that many people will be rushing to upgrade.

Dosn't seem to me to be a great improvement on 20D, it has a 2.5 inch monitor and extended ISO adjustment range in that you can adjust in 1/3rd stop increments, it also has spot metering and a redesigned body similar to the 5D, but its still 8.2Mp and still 5fps but switchable to 3 fps.
I would have expected a slight increase in the pixel amount up to 10 or 11Mp perhaps, and I would hope it is quieter than the 20D

"EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 is the first high-end EF-S lens" ... er .... whoever you were quoting, BW, have they ever used an EF-S 10-22? Or seen the price of one? OK, the 17-55 is even dearer than the 10-22, and it has constant f/2.8, but sight unseen I'll bet it isn't any sharper, because if it was it would cut your eye. Or any nicer to use. (If it is even better than the EF-S 10-22, then sorry guys, I saw her first, and I'm going to marry her. Or possibly just have a long-term illicit relationship, as I think I'm already engaged to my 500 f/4.)

After all the hype and rumours, what an anti-climax. There's not a great deal to encourage existing 350D or 20D owners to upgrade and on the face of it the D200 looks a much better buy for those who haven't yet committed to either Nikon or Canon. I'd expected a lot more but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm also surprised about the lack of "WOW!" factor with this camera.

That said: among the most popular things about the D200 are the big LCD and the ergonomics, and about the least popular thing about the D200 is the banding issue (new camera teething troubles or not, it got a lot of people very wound up).

Maybe Canon have deliberately gone down the conservative route in order to to introduce better LCD and ergonomics without taking any risks on a new sensor: imagine the fall-out if they introduced a new sensor and it had the same (or an equivalent) problem that some D200s have shown...

Last edited:
nigelblake said:
..,and I would hope it is quieter than the 20D

Yes, if that beefed-up shutter is quieter this would be the most important feature to check out for any bird-photographer considering this camera against a reduced-price 20D.

Even at 8.2 Mp, granted you would have to get closer, but even less atmospheric compression, shallower DOF at closer range meaning much better creative control of DOF with aperture choice, greater dynamic range and less noise....... But then the same reasons as above are so much better with 16.7 Mp to play with.

Keith Reeder said:
Loud shutter?

Just buy a longer lens!

;)

Yeah, even my famously-quiet Olympus OM1 would make a bird 'sit up and take notice' at close range!

Not sure that a longer lens with all that metalwork doesn't act as a sort of sound amplifier under some circumstances

nigelblake said:
D... and I would hope it is quieter than the 20D

I will not name him, but a mate of mine and an excellent photographer is tearing his hair out with the 20D and the racket it makes. Every time he photographs raptors at carrion they're off in a flash. He has the thing all wrapped up in cloths. It's insane!!

nigelblake said:
Even at 8.2 Mp, granted you would have to get closer, but even less atmospheric compression, shallower DOF at closer range meaning much better creative control of DOF with aperture choice, greater dynamic range and less noise....... But then the same reasons as above are so much better with 16.7 Mp to play with.
Certainly, if you're up close to the bird, ff has it's advantages but i suspect most bird photographers here at BF would baulk at the thought of giving up the extra reach of a 1.6x crop.

Cheers,
Andy

Touty said:
I will not name him, but a mate of mine and an excellent photographer is tearing his hair out with the 20D and the racket it makes. Every time he photographs raptors at carrion they're off in a flash. He has the thing all wrapped up in cloths. It's insane!!
Buy him this for xmas :-O
http://www.soundblimp.com/canon.htm
Though i'm not sure he'd want to be seen out in public with it.

Andy Bright said:
Buy him this for xmas :-O
http://www.soundblimp.com/canon.htm
Though i'm not sure he'd want to be seen out in public with it.

$800!! That's half the cost of the camera. He was looking at the 5D today (€2900 ($2000) in a street shop in Trieste, though I've looked on the web and the price is no better in Italy) and said it was MUCH quieter. With the €1000 he'd get for the nearly-new 20D I think I'd go for the 5D.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back