• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic video scoping setup? (1 Viewer)

newb

I'm sure this has been asked thousands of times before but is there a very budget setup you would recommend? This includes scope, video camera (with option for external microphone), mounts, tripod, tripod head etc. I have read that videoscoping gives better results than cheap super zoom cameras so what should I get? A basic list with prices would be great.
Thanks

newb said:
...is there a very budget setup you would recommend? This includes scope, video camera (with option for external microphone)...

Hi there, hope you are getting some equipment together by now. I've used Sony camcorders placed on shims, with a Pentax 80mm scope, one behind the other on a plywood base. You can skimp on the camcorder (most any will work), but not on the scope if you want good results, in my opinion. Check the auction sites for used items. There are some 80mm scopes now with "regular" optics that can be had for a few hundred dollars new. A dedicated low-power eyepiece with a long eye-relief tends to give best results. The camcorder can provide all the zoom you can use as a rule.
Sony used to make a nice 6 inch oval parabolic mic that fit on a hot shoe and plugged into an 1/8 inch audio jack. I haven't seen it advertised for a while, but there are a few smallish parabolic handheld mics around for about $40US.
Cheers,
Randy Hopkins

Last edited:
Depending on how you want to use the video, if it just for private use, I would suggest checking out the "Movie" function which is included in most point & shoot cameras. This way you can be digiscoping and quickly take a video clip.

I use a Swarovski ATS 80HD scope with either a 20-60x eyepiece, 30x eyepiece or 45x eyepiece, DCA & a Nikon 8400 camera. The video clips produced by this setup are very acceptable.

Bob Thompson

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back