• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good deal on 30/40x eyepiece! (1 Viewer)

Hi Sancho,

I got the impression that they were new, I didn't see anything suggesting otherwise? Only received mine yesterday so haven't had chance to use it yet, first outing is tomorrow morning.

Regards

Mark

Hi Sancho,

I got the impression that they were new, I didn't see anything suggesting otherwise? Only received mine yesterday so haven't had chance to use it yet, first outing is tomorrow morning.

Regards

Mark
I´ve no doubt they´re new, I hope you like yours, let us know what you think of it. The lowest price I could find one for on other sites was 259 sterling! I got a 2nd hand Zeiss 85TFL from a goodly BF member a few months ago, I have a Baader 17mm fixed ep and a Baader zoom with it, but I´m intrigued to find what the Zeiss 40x ep is like. I find the Zeiss yellow cast doesn´t bother me, I only notice it in very "grey" overcast conditions, and apparently it improves contrast or something. Have you got the Zeiss zoom ep too?

Yes that was the best price I had found previously. I've had a diascope 85 for a while now which I bought with the zoom EP. Have no complaints about it as the zoom on the Zeiss is a dream!

I'd thought about getting a fixed EP for a while now and when I saw them at that price I couldn't resist!

Will let you know what I think after it's first outing tomorrow!

Well, I took the scope with new eyepiece out for a test today at my local RSPB reserve and was quite impressed with it!

Like I said previously, the zoom EP i've been using with the diascope is superb and I'd often thought about whether I really need a fixed EP as well.
After having a play today with the 40x I'm glad I bought it as a second option (especially at that price!)

I don't look at the technical side of things too much so this is just based on what I thought when I looked through the EP and whether I liked it or not!

When I last went to the reserve it was to test a Nikon EDIII Fieldscope I had recently bought second hand as a smaller carry around scope which came with a 20x EP. I thought this scope was fantastic with a bright sharp image. However, the waders on the far side of the pool were at my limits with the 20x EP, so I think I'll invest in the 30x MC EP to go with my fieldscope.

When I used the 40x on the diascope today, this made a huge difference of course, with even the smaller waders being identifiable. The view was sharp and bright and the extra FOV was noticable on the fixed EP over the zoom at 40x.

It's a pity Zeiss stopped making the 30x EP but for scanning flocks of distant waders and also when seawatching where the birds can be a long way out, this EP is a great compliment to the 20-60 zoom.

At that price Sancho, I think we've had a good deal !! :t:

At that price Sancho, I think we've had a good deal !! :t:
A superb deal, Mark, many thanks to you for spotting it! Mine arrive today, I haven´t had a chance to use if in the field, but tested it out on the street looking at local hills/moorland and it´s a cracking little eyepiece. Narrower and a bit dimmer than my Baader 17mm (30x), but the extra mag is impressive. It also has less CA than the Baader. I wanted it because in rough weather, seawatching and the like, my two Baaders apparently aren´t waterproof, so a fixed Zeiss ep was called for. I´ll let you know how I get on with it!:t:

I spent yesterday out at Tacumshin Lake looking at wildfowl, waders and the like (including a gorgeous male Baikal Teal, of "unknown" origin....i.e., no-one knows what zoo he came from;)). I used the Zeiss 40xw and it really is a superb eyepiece. Very, very sharp and bright, and as with your Zeiss zoom, much wider than the Baader zoom at 40x. It´s a toss-up, really, which ep becomes my "default". Either one is superb, with the other to complement. Thanks again for that superb heads-up on an excellent deal!

Yep, it is a dilemma as both eyepieces are excellent. I'm using the fixed EP as my default at the mo as it's new and I'm liking the wider view but both are great on the diascope!

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back