• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremely rare birds in the WP (1 Viewer)

I'll post a species list tonight. Basically, it lists all species that have occurred in the WP ('sensu BWP') less than 10 times up to and including 2008. Records from 2009 and the first half of 2010 are mentioned as well, but not listed with details. Due to deadlines, I couldn't update it to include the second half of 2010 and 2011...

I am sure Lynx will publish sample pages when the book is ready to be printed (which is in its final stages now).

Extremely rare birds in the WP - species list

Attached is the species list of the book. Only species currently in category A and/or B are featured in the book.

I tried to publish one photo for each actual record, if available, which means that many have never been published before (mostly photos of museum skins).

Indeed, it should be useful, although already out of date... But that's the thing with these types of books anyway. Nevertheless, the documentation still functions of course!

I'll let you know once I know the book is available.

(I'm already working on another book which lists all records of North American passerines in Europe...)

Attachments

• Extremely rare birds in the Western Palearctic - species list.doc
    38 KB · Views: 1,000
I'll post a species list tonight. Basically, it lists all species that have occurred in the WP ('sensu BWP') less than 10 times up to and including 2008. Records from 2009 and the first half of 2010 are mentioned as well, but not listed with details. Due to deadlines, I couldn't update it to include the second half of 2010 and 2011...

I am sure Lynx will publish sample pages when the book is ready to be printed (which is in its final stages now).

Marcel,
Thanks from me, too!;)
MJB

Fork-tailed Flycatcher in the western Palearctic? That is a shocking record, as is Swallow-tailed Kite.

The records for such short distance migrants as Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Red-breasted Nuthatch is also impressive.

Carlos

What's up with this Swallow-tailed Kite record? I saw photo(s) in British Birds soon after a sighting in one of the Atlantic archipelagos in 1998, but the latest Collins edition (first USA printing) doesn't include the species at all.

Red-breasted Nuthatch is a medium-distance irruptive so I'm not surprised to learn that it has reached the WP.

What's up with this Swallow-tailed Kite record? I saw photo(s) in British Birds soon after a sighting in one of the Atlantic archipelagos in 1998, but the latest Collins edition (first USA printing) doesn't include the species at all.

See: http://birdingazores.com/?page=swallowtailed The March 2005 record on Flores has not been accepted.

The record you mention (actually in 1993) has not been accepted as a wild bird but accepted in the so-called category D (simply put: all records that might be genuine but treated with doubts 'at the moment').

See: http://birdingazores.com/?page=swallowtailed The March 2005 record on Flores has not been accepted.

The record you mention (actually in 1993) has not been accepted as a wild bird but accepted in the so-called category D (simply put: all records that might be genuine but treated with doubts 'at the moment').

Thanks, Marcel. My British 1st edition Collins gives the year as 1998. Remarkable records, for that species and for the Fork-tailed Flycatcher.

It might be worthwhile complement to records from the years 2010 and 2011, published jointly in the article as an update to the book (in Dutch Birding?). Then we had the current status in January 2012, the day when the book came out.
All the best
Lukasz

It might be worthwhile complement to records from the years 2010 and 2011, published jointly in the article as an update to the book (in Dutch Birding?). Then we had the current status in January 2012, the day when the book came out.
All the best
Lukasz

Good idea Lukasz! I'll look into it. I noticed that Ornithos very recently published an update to the 2008 French avifauna book by Dubois et al. Dutch Birding seems an obvious choice for me...

Just received my copy.

Well done, Marcel. It's a very useful compilation indeed - no more lengthy and frustrating searches of multiple sources for details of historic records!

Acquiring all the images of these mega-rarities must have been a considerable task. The shots taken in the field are gripping of course, although sometimes of rather poor quality for obvious reasons. But equally fascinating are the numerous photographs of actual museum specimens.

An essential reference for anyone interested in WP rarities.

PS. For anyone with a few hours to spare – it would be interesting to collate the total number of extremely rare species and the total number of extremely rare records for each WP country...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back