• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flight photos technique VS still photos (1 Viewer)

Hi again, well I found out I was shooting in RAW but...........the photos are still being downloaded on computer as jpg. I have went over the book and evidently am missing what I am doing wrong to get the photos to show up in Raw. The book says the photos will download as one photo but you can pull the raw out too as well as the jpg. When I select show Raw nothing changes still jpg. I want both but am curious to work with Raw photos to see if I see a difference with processing the photos in my photo program. With saying that I am just trying to download the raw in my canon program for now and getting no where it seems. Any ideas?

I'm also working on getting closer to my still subjects, probably too close now, trial and error. I did find out that I had a few settings that had been changed on my menu of the camera. My picture style was all messed up, not sure if that may have caused problems. Overcast today so not sure I'll get to try out any shots to see if makes difference. If all else fails, next time I am in the town where I bought the camera will take it by and have them take a look at the camera or possibly even the zoom to see if a problem.
How do you know you are shooting in RAW? which mode are you in as Raw is only available in the creative zone (e.g. if you are in auto mode then Raw is not available).

Hi, I shoot in AV not auto. On my menu selection under quality I have raw chosen. Is this not right?
That sounds perfectly correct to me. Some questions....

- Are you shooting raw only or raw + JPEG?
- Are you downloading directly from the camera via USB or by using a card reader?
- What software are you using to download the files?
- What software are you using to view/edit the files?

If you use some sort of Windows software to download the files it may not recognise the raw files as image files. You will need to manually select the files in Explorer and drag them to your destination folder. If you use Canon software - EOS Utility for the camera or Zoombrowser for the card - then the software should recognise both file formats.

You might also download and install the Canon Raw Codec, which will allow you to view raw files within Windows native programs such as Photo Gallery and Explorer itself.

I have tried raw and raw+jpg and still getting just jpg. On my canon program for downloading after photos are there in a file I select show raw photos and nothing just jpg photos. I transfer photos from camera with USB. Photos are downloaded with EOS Utility. I view in either or all of these, Photo Impact, Zoom Browser, and EOS Utility..nothing.

I don't understand how you are seeing any JPEG files when you are shooting raw only. That makes no sense to me. However, I only have experience of the 30D, 40D, 50D and 1D3. I don't know if there is something peculiar about the file format(s) out of the 450D.

Do you have a card reader? If so, try looking at the card contents using File Explorer with the card in the reader. What file extensions do you see on the card - .jpg, .crw, .cr2? anything else?

I'm guessing your raw files should end with either .CRW or .CR2. If there are no such files then it seems like your camera is not saving to raw format. I'm afraid someone with more intimate knowledge of the 450D will have to step in and help as I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

No problem Tim, I'm seeing nothing in the cr2 or crw as I thought I would too. Sigh..I have looked over the manual..seem to be doing what it says. This puppy just may go to the Photography place I purchased it from and have them set everything up the way I want.

Thanks anyways. :)

Well you could try a complete camera reset, including custom functions, and see if that clears up some bizarre quirk. There ought to be an option in the menu system to accomplish that. You'll then need to make sure you're in Av mode once more and then set the format to raw as that will almost certainly default back to JPEG following a reset.

What program are you using to edit your shots after downloading? There is something very strange going on. When you download a raw file you can see the in-bedded jpeg by viewing the raw in zoombrowser or the like but that does not mean it is a jpeg file. You would not be able to save it as a jpeg until you have converted the Raw.

I have spoken to Jim, via pm, about his choice of lens and, without wishing to offend, I think we both agreed that he may have done a bit better with a different lens.
However if you look at his Flickr gallery I think you will see a marked improvement in his pic taking. The top three shots are considerably better than anything he has posted here so far.

Hi John,

I have exactly the same set up as Jim, and we have spoken via PM about the learning curve we have both found ourselves on. At the time I bought the lens I was on a budget, so it looks like I'm stuck with it for now |=(|. Be interested in your comments as to why the Tokina was a poor choice.

I know I need to get out & practice more, and I'm hopeful of ever improving results. My Flick page has a limited amount of photos on there at the moment, but will hopefully get a few more up there soon.

Richard

When you select RAW from the Menu do you press the SET button after to lock it in Raw? Your EXIF data will also tell you if you are shooting in RAW or not.

Checked the menu again and says Raw + jpg so I figure I must have pushed set to lock it in. Just in case I went ahead and set raw + jpg again and pushed set to be sure. AM I missing another adjustment somewhere else maybe? The display on camera is showing the icon with a L Beside it as described with raw+jpg in the menu. Will try a few shots and search on EOS if something I should hit first before downloading

Zoom Browser I get this message after I hit process raw images: Select a RAW image taken with a canon camera. When I select a photo..nada..says this again.

When I have it set on just RAW does same thing in jpg. Could it be a setting with the EOS Utility that I am not aware of?

Last edited:
In Zoombrowser your raw files should be clearly marked as "RAW" on each thumbnail. See the attached screen print for an example. If your thumbnails are not so marked then I guess the files you are looking at are not raw files.

Also, I believe that in the latest releases of Zoombrowser - 6.2.x - the raw processing has been removed from Zoombrowser itself and instead it links you to DPP to edit/process raw files. Do you have DPP installed? I have Zoombrowser 6.2.1 installed and my version links to DPP. 6.2.1c is the latest available from Canon USA. Which version of Zoombrowser are you running?

Last edited:
Ok ..I just took a few more photos in RAW only and it amazingly worked this time. Saved as .cr2. Now where is my problem with the RAW + jpg in finding the raw photos? Are they in another folder or should they be together? Geesh this is going to make me crazy.

Looks like ZoomBrowser 6.1.1...may need to upgrade

Display screen is now showing RAW only on screen.

Tim I now have the raw showing up like your photo has. :) YEAH

Last edited:
Ok ..I just took a few more photos in RAW only and it amazingly worked this time. Saved as .cr2. Now where is my problem with the RAW + jpg in finding the raw photos? Are they in another folder or should they be together? Geesh this is going to make me crazy.

Looks like ZoomBrowser 6.1.1...may need to upgrade

Display screen is now showing RAW only on screen.

Tim I now have the raw showing up like your photo has. :) YEAH
There is a setting in DPP that if checked will only show raw files if there are jpgs of the same name - you need to make sure this is not checked.

Congrats on getting raw working. I'm afraid I have no idea what the story is with raw+jpeg being weird. I have never shot that combination in my life. You could try searching your whole hard drive to see if there are any more .cr2 files hidden away. Beyond that I'm afraid it's down to anyone who shoots raw+jpeg, perhaps with a 450D specifically, in order to provide more clues.

Congrats on getting raw working. I'm afraid I have no idea what the story is with raw+jpeg being weird. I have never shot that combination in my life. You could try searching your whole hard drive to see if there are any more .cr2 files hidden away. Beyond that I'm afraid it's down to anyone who shoots raw+jpeg, perhaps with a 450D specifically, in order to provide more clues.
I am with you Tim - never shot Raw + jpeg in my life, don't see the point of it.

I sincerely thank everyone for trying to help with this. I really just need RAW only I guess so no real big deal if it don't work on RAW + jpg. Just so glad to see this working now on RAW. Will do the other tests soon, was just trying to see if shooting in RAW helped any.

I did the search for cr2 and only today's photos that I just did showed up. I must not have pushed the set button before, don't know, but working now.

I am with you Tim - never shot Raw + jpeg in my life, don't see the point of it.

It is a facility used mainly by professional photographers, shooting large amounts of images, 15,000 or so at a time, e.g. at a big sports event, that need to be selected and transmitted to a head office quickly. The jpg and raw are paired, but only the jpg is looked at, for speed. Any shots that leap out of the screen are saved, and the raw is used for the processing, the rest are binned. For example, Sports Illustrated INSIST their staff photographers use raw+jpg, raw only would slow down their workflow. 15,000 images at 3 a second will still take an hour and a half to review, increasing that time is not acceptable. I know professional bird photographers who always use raw+jpg for the same reason.

An amateur shooting for pleasure would just be wasting time and storage space for no reason.

This may even be useful and enlightening to some people, and hopefully not toothache inducing.

Invest in a monopod. Don't mount it on the camera, mount it on the tripod ring. My starting point for birds in flight are: AV mode , AI Servo, Center Focus, IS Mode 1, ISO 400 (Don't like going any higher) F/8 and I want ateast a 1/640. And wait for the bird to fill you view finder. You quickly learn it depends on available light.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back