• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Spring still struggling to get going, just 5°C up here today so no wonder we've still got Bramblings under the feeders!
Still waiting for the first Chiffchaff (15 March last year!), so on glimpsing a little brown job just now I was surprised to find on looking through the binoculars that instead of a chiff it was a smart

55 Firecrest

Nice!

No migrants here yet - but at long last a

50: Kestrel

flew by.

A Starling was doing perfect impressions of a dozen species, including Lapwing, Curlew and a Little Owl alarm call.

Yesterday afternoon I spend about an hour on yard and now I can add couple of more over flying migrants to my list:

#30. Great Black-backed Gull - 2 of them. I think these are actually our local birds.
#31. Lapwing - 4 birds flew to the East.
#32. Greylag Goose - 5 birds to the East.

At this morning I thought I heard Redwing sang, but it sang so little time (and far) that I'm not 100% sure.

A pre-work seawatch had lots of passing Common Gulls and 4 grey Geese, unfortunately too brief to be certain but probably Greylags, I did add two species to the year list though.

51. Sandwich Tern
52. Mallard

About 5 weeks since my last update, spring has finally arrived!

35. Black woodpecker
36. Mallard
37. Willow tit
38. Feral pigeon
39. Rook
40. Tawny Owl
41. Whooper swan
42. Skylark
43. Wood pigeon
44. Woodlark
45. Lapwing
46. Robin
47. Common crane
48. Bean goose
49. Mistle thrush

Spring has finally arrived. New additions.

19. Wood Pigeon
20. Sparrowhawk
21. Starling
22. Common Gull

Mallard, Goldeneye, Black-Headed Gull etc. are on the waiting list once the nearby river melts.

Gone very warm so things are on the move, before 8am today I'd already added 3 more for the year, Water Pipits and a Dunnock tarrying a short while before heading off higher to their breeding grounds and a Chiffchaff (finally), three weeks later than last year's first. Then, mid-morning as I raised my bins to look at a Yellowhammer in the field behind the house a Hoopoe flew directly behind it! The first one I've ever had on a garden list anywhere I've lived (in Europe at least, they were regular out of the window when we lived in Lebanon). Not common in our part of France so a Manigod garden 'mega' B :)

58 Water Pipit
59 Dunnock
60 Chiffchaff
61 Hoopoe

Hoopoe! What a great bird to have anywhere - but from your garden..! Wow.
Nearest I got was one about two miles from home at my last place.
Nothing to report here - again!

Edit! Spoke too soon:

An evening Swallow has just flown straight past the window!

Last edited:
No Swallows here yet but I did see them and a few Sand Martins on the Norfolk coast on wednesday.

We've had a few Brambling passing through for the last couple of days and yesterday No. 49 Lesser Redpoll was briefly on the feeders. First one for two years.

Good to see that most people are starting to get the benefits of spring. I had my first proper summer migrant today, and it turned out to be a garden lifer, #78

62 Sand Martin

Not much else happening recently, just a few gulls heading north and east most days.

Steve

Spring explosion today - nine new ticks in a few hours this afternoon!

23. Pheasant
24. Goldeneye
25. Black-headed gull
26. Mallard
27. Crane
28. Bean Goose
29. Greater White-Fronted Goose
30. Great Black-Backed Gull
31. Whooper Swan

+ Goshawk, Common Gulls, Herring Gulls, several Wood Pigeons courtship displaying etc.
Trushes, Finches and Robins should come next.

Last updated on 12th March. Since then, thin pickings with little time spent:-

42 - Canada Goose - 13th March
43 - Swallow - 9th April

Still 35 photographed. Must try harder for the spring period........

All the best

Swallows, Martins and Hoopoes - You guys have summer there!

Meantime in Finland: Snow... at least last night. :-C

OK - I got couple of new ones too.

From Sunday:
#33. Black-headed Gull
#34. Robin
- Year tick from own garden is always great. :king: The photo was taken this morning.
#35. Crane

From yeasterday:
#36. Common Gull
#37. Starling

Attachments

• abIMG_8045.jpg
    abIMG_8045.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16
  • aIMG_7991.jpg
    aIMG_7991.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 23
It is not feeling much like spring at the moment, so I am having a pre-work seawatch rather than looking for migrant passerines.

55. Goosander

We had snow as well on Tuesday Wari, so spring is a bit stop start here, my son was visiting from England with his family so was very happy to see the pair of Citril Finch that joined the feeding frenzy under the sheltered feeders.
Things have warmed up again now so Swallows are settling in around the farms and the first cows and sheep are finally being let out of their winter 'prisons' in the barns where they've been confined since November.
A species which is spreading into this part of France is Red Kite, thanks to the growing Swiss population, a pair are nesting for the first time about 8kms away so I suppose today's visitor could have been predicted, a lovely sight nonetheless:

62 Red Kite

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back