• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to buy a used Canon Sx60 (1 Viewer)

Sbiriguda

As I say in another thread, I am about to buy a used camera, a Canon SX60
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=355662

I found some guides in the Internet about what to check
https://photographylife.com/how-to-buy-used-dslr-cameras
https://petapixel.com/2010/10/08/checklist-for-buying-used-cameras-and-lenses-on-craigslist/
For example these
Any specific suggestions for Canon SX60 since it is a bridge camera (normally instructions are for other types of cameras)

Hermitibis already gave me a very good hint:

Contrary to DSLRs, these models don't count the "clicks", ie the numbers of photos shot. So it's guesswork whether a camera is little used. - Hint: The "Func set" of the SX50 is the most frequently used button. If the text "Func Set" looks brandnew, it indicates that the SX50 has had few clicks.

Hi again,
I like your systematical approach. Asking at dpreview to get a second opinion - fine with me. :t: Funny how those guys dismissed the SX50. The idea that the SX60 is the newer model, so it MUST be superior, is misleading imo. All these cameras have their pros and cons, and if we did a poll here, I am not sure which model would win. But I respect your decision, the better viewfinder of the SX60 may justify to pay Euro 250 for it, instead of Euro 150 or less for a SX50 at ebay, from a dealer with free 1-month return and 1-year warranty.

The photographylife advice seems more "common sense" than the other.

Your link to an online ad seems to say that the seller isn't willing to negotiate the price and isn't willing to send the item, so you have to travel. Also his/her ad doesn't show the much used Func Set button. At the very least I'd ask to send you two photos: (a) showing the func set button, and (b) a photo taken with the SX60.

If the second photo shows a bird, don't buy. Birder cameras have far too many clicks.

Last edited:
Hello, I eventually purchased the SX60 at 250 euro with bag and spare battery. Hopefully it looks nice and I tested it. It belonged to an amateur photographer with a passion for lightouses photography. Now I should have all the equipment I need to start! Thank you very much for the precious suggesions. In my case I chose SX60 mostly because of WiFi connection a feature that I consider important. Thanks again!

Hello, I eventually purchased the SX60 at 250 euro with bag and spare battery. Hopefully it looks nice and I tested it. It belonged to an amateur photographer with a passion for lightouses photography. Now I should have all the equipment I need to start! Thank you very much for the precious suggesions. In my case I chose SX60 mostly because of WiFi connection a feature that I consider important. Thanks again!
Congratulations - have fun! |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back