• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleconversion Lens for DMC-FZ10 (1 Viewer)

hdm

Although it's seems expensive (nearly the price of the camera) I intend to buy the DMW-LTZ10 Teleconversion Lens for my DMC-FZ10. With the 12x optical zoom will that give me an equivalent of 18x optical zoom and a better quality then the combination of 12x optical + 1.5x digital magnification?
Thanks
Henry

What are the details re this lens? Is it the lens promised by Panasonic or something else? Is there an English language website with further onformation? I gather that Raynox are producing (have produced?) both a 1.5x teleconversion and a 2.2x teleconversion lens for the FZ10.
John Cantelo

It's the Panasonic teleconverter proposed in the 'optional equipment' flyer included in the box with the camera. Ref is DMW-LTZ10 and can be obtained for € 600.00 in Belgium. It magnifies 1.5 x.
Other options are a Wide conversion lens (0.8 x) and a filter which reduces light to 1/8th (I may need this one as I encountered problems in bright light that I could not cure with the white balance function)
Thanks for your help, John.
Henry

Several companies are now producing adapter to fit otehr converters such as the Tcon17 and one from Sony which are a good bit cheaper.

Hard to comapre results though until someone takes the plunge with the Panasonic.

hdm said:
Although it's seems expensive (nearly the price of the camera) I intend to buy the DMW-LTZ10 Teleconversion Lens for my DMC-FZ10. With the 12x optical zoom will that give me an equivalent of 18x optical zoom and a better quality then the combination of 12x optical + 1.5x digital magnification?
Thanks
Henry

Hi Henry,

I also have the fluzi and am looking at extending my reach with it (or else taking up digiscoping). You can find photos taken with the DMW-LTZ10 here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=25790&forum_id=23

The Panasonic forum at dpreview.com has a ton of discussion about tele lenses for the fluzi, with lots of test shots. For example: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=8812131

One member has posted shots taken with the new Raynox 2.2 lens: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=8829362

Another member has posted shots taken with a number of different teles (including stacked combinations) here: http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/tele_pd62_comparisons

I am experimenting with an Olympus C-210, which is 1.9x. It's small and light weight, with good resolution. Vignetting is an issue up to 12x, but is cropped out once you get into digital zoom. Color saturation is ok, but probably not as good as the lens you're looking at. What I really need is a 3x lens, but the only one I've heard of is the 3x Canon TL-55. There is only one site I know of in Germany advertising that lens at 600 euros. I haven't seen any photos with it. I'm thinking about stacking something with the c-210, but would have to go into digital zoom to do so because of heavy vignetting. Thus, I'm now looking at digiscoping which, unfortunately, has its own set of issues.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Answer to your question

hdm said:
Thanks
Henry

Sorry I didn't answer your question in my other reply. Yes, the lens will give you significantly better quality than using digital zoom.

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks everyone for her/his kind reply.
So I'll take the plunge, Ian.
Although I have a telescope (half the way to digiscooping), I have been expecting the DMC-FZ10 since it was first mentionned in the BirdForum and am very happy with it because most of the time I'm on the move, must be always ready and shoot fast, even if I'd love to spend time in a hide and be able to observe more throughly.
I'm expecting the teleconverter to give me just this extra range one needs for THE occasion without loosing quality (thanks Bob).
Sorry, though, for those expecting some expert's report comparing this with other solutions. I'm just not competent, only enjoying every single second in nature. But at least the experts in the BirdForum may know they are helping these lunatic birding guys like me a lot! Thks!
Henry

hdm said:
Thanks
Henry

If you want to see some examples taken with the Panasonic DMW-LTZ10 check out the following link:-

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=25790&forum_id=23

A contributor to the Panasonic forum on Steve's Digicams has already purchased the teleconverter, there are other examples in the forum in addition to those in the above link.

Harryo

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back