• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sony RX 100 M2 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Just out of interest, what's the size of the lens - i.e. the diameter of the front part of the lens when extended?

Neil,

What's the main advantages between MK I and MK II?

Jason,
Main differences are the Flip up LCD , an Optional Electronic Viewfinder and Smartphone connectivity. You can control your RX 100 M2 from your phone/iPad and see what the camera sees. I haven't tried this in the field yet but have tested it at home and it works well.
I use the Flip up/down screen a lot.
Neil.

Last edited:
I have a question about focusing the RX100-M2. How is that possible when needing glasses to focus objects nearby (like reading, etc.)? I don't want to switch between glasses and no glasses all the time. The LCD screen focus setting cannot be matched to once eyes I suppose? There's also an optional viewfinder, but if I am informed well, it doesn't have this option (to match ones eye) either. Maybe there's no big problem when using AF, but there is with MF. How do other people needing glasses do this??

I have a question about focusing the RX100-M2. How is that possible when needing glasses to focus objects nearby (like reading, etc.)? I don't want to switch between glasses and no glasses all the time. The LCD screen focus setting cannot be matched to once eyes I suppose? There's also an optional viewfinder, but if I am informed well, it doesn't have this option (to match ones eye) either. Maybe there's no big problem when using AF, but there is with MF. How do other people needing glasses do this??

I have bi-focals to aid in reading up close and computer work when I'm away from home but at home I have a dedicated pair of glasses for computer work. I don't take these out into the field as I don't like taking glasses off and on.
The bi-focals work ok for me as I am mostly using the lcd for focusing as I'm sitting in a hide. To aid focusing you can switch on Focus Peaking which puts a colored outline around those parts of the image that are in focus (there are 3 strengths for this ).
Neil.

I just discovered yesterday that I had the LDC screen set up wrong on the RX 100M2. I could never understand why the Nikon P330 screen looked so much better than the Sony so I went into the menu and switched the LCD setting from Auto to Sunny Weather. Instant improvement. Screen much brighter and I could see all the detail.
We're learning all the time.
Neil.

I had a traditional digiscoping/videoscoping day out yesterday with the STX 95. I only took the RX 100 M2 and the Nikon P330 with the Panasonic GH3 for video.
It was a nice sunny morning and I was the only one in the hide for the first 3 hours. Luxury.
I posted a few video clips up here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/14090332146/
Distance was about 30 - 120 meters.
Neil.
Sony RX 100 M2 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and DCB 11 Adapter
with Gitzo Series Two tripod.
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
May 2014

Attachments

• gt tatler breed DB MP rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6371.jpg
    gt tatler breed DB MP rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6371.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 187
  • greenshank breed DB MP rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6405.jpg
    greenshank breed DB MP rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6405.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 217
  • greater sandplover breed DB rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6313.jpg
    greater sandplover breed DB rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6313.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 247
  • rn stints breed feed DB rx100M2 stx95_DSC5932.jpg
    rn stints breed feed DB rx100M2 stx95_DSC5932.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 231
  • lt stints breed DB MP rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6332.jpg
    lt stints breed DB MP rx100M2 stx95mm_DSC6332.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 212
Swarowsky 85 with RX100 MKII

Werner

Nice Werner. I've been impressed with the quality that Sony have packed into this little camera and I always have it with in a pouch on my hip. Two weeks ago I bought the 100M3. Some nice improvements.
Neil.

Hi Neil. I bought the M3 too. Very good improvements, especially the viewfinder and aperture 2,8 at long end.
The hig iso-Quality is much more better then the M2. We will see ...

Werner

Werner,
I have always been so impressed with your shots. Mind sharing with us what happened to all your previous shots with the Fuji? They all were removed.
Frank

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back