• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (3 Viewers)

Did you ever buy an SX60 or did you do what I did back then and just decide to sit it out?

Did what you did, sat it out.
Did my best with pocket zooms instead, but have not found them that good.
So am waiting impatiently for the SX 70. It's been a long wait...

Did what you did, sat it out.
Did my best with pocket zooms instead, but have not found them that good.
So am waiting impatiently for the SX 70. It's been a long wait...

I have the feeling that I'll be sitting it out along there with you again.

Unless I learn that I'm doing something drastically wrong with the SX60, which I strongly doubt given that the settings appear to be identical to the SX50 in every way that matters, I can't see keeping it.

I do love my SX50's (I have three) When the P900 didn't work out and I decided to pass on the SX60 I got myself some spare SX50's just in case my original died on me.

But I've had my first SX50 since Dec. 2012 and I've been hoping for something worth upgrading to.

I suppose the waiting is likely to continue...

Could this video of a 150x zoom Canon SX70 HS be authentic? Or is it a fake?

Looks promising. Thank you very much for this link.

Note that the headline says 150x, the actual description says 100x, think a fake product video would be more careful.
Canon did patent a 100x lens about 3 years back, iirc a bit wider than the P900 but not quite as long. Think the devil will be in the details of the execution, but with the CES imminent, we won't have long to wait to find out if it is real.

Looks promising. Thank you very much for this link.

Note that the headline says 150x, the actual description says 100x, think a fake product video would be more careful.
Canon did patent a 100x lens about 3 years back, iirc a bit wider than the P900 but not quite as long. Think the devil will be in the details of the execution, but with the CES imminent, we won't have long to wait to find out if it is real.

I didn't notice the 100x / 150x inconsistency. You might be right. |:D|
The video itself looks professional - zooming on a raptor, not on a sparrow. And the whole scenario: dry climate, to reduce atmospheric issues.

Apparently Canon has patented a new Powershot 3.8-380mm f/2.3-7 zoom lens.

Last edited:
I didn't notice the 100x / 150x inconsistency. You might be right. |:D|
The video itself looks professional - zooming on a raptor, not on a sparrow. And the whole scenario: dry climate, to reduce atmospheric issues.

Apparently Canon has patented a new Powershot 3.8-380mm f/2.3-7 zoom lens.

There are several 100x lens patents from Canon on file, all for a Powershot style sensor:

http://thenewcamera.com/canon-patent-poweshot-with-100x-optical-zoom/

http://thenewcamera.com/one-more-canon-100x-compact-zoom-lens-patent/

http://thenewcamera.com/another-100x-optical-zoom-lens-patent-from-canon/

Canon clearly has the chops to produce the product.
However, because sales and profits are off sharply, they are being forced to retrench. The firm will only launch the SX 70 if decent profits are probable and if marketing is comfortable that the camera will not cannibalize sales of more lucrative models.

Funny thing about patents is that they aren't just used to make your own stuff. They are also used to stop others from making stuff or to trade for rights to patents that others own.

Not that I think that Canon doesn't intend to use them but there is no rush if it doesn't make sense to use them right away.

But I'm still hopeful to hear something from CES.

Funny thing about patents is that they aren't just used to make your own stuff. They are also used to stop others from making stuff or to trade for rights to patents that others own.

Not that I think that Canon doesn't intend to use them but there is no rush if it doesn't make sense to use them right away.

But I'm still hopeful to hear something from CES.

Sure, it's a long process from a patent to a new camera. Still, a mere chance for a 380mm lens planted on a sensor with a 5.62 crop factor is ... nice. :king: An equivalent focal length of 2135mm at f/7? The internal teleconverter would become almost irrelevant, I might prefer to shoot in RAW. - I only have to convince the family to order our Xmas gifts from the Easter bunny.

Last edited:
Sure, it's a long process from a patent to a new camera. Still, a mere chance for a 380mm lens planted on a sensor with a 5.62 crop factor is ... nice. :king: An equivalent focal length of 2135mm at f/7? The internal teleconverter would become almost irrelevant, I might prefer to shoot in RAW. - I only have to convince the family to order our Xmas gifts from the Easter bunny.

Meanwhile, there is this patent from Nikon:
http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-working-on-81x-compact-zoom-camera-with-1-inch-sensor/

The promise of a P900 zoom with a sensor that has 4x the area, so same reach and much better image quality. Maybe the Easter bunny will bring it.

Meanwhile, there is this patent from Nikon:
http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-working-on-81x-compact-zoom-camera-with-1-inch-sensor/

The promise of a P900 zoom with a sensor that has 4x the area, so same reach and much better image quality. Maybe the Easter bunny will bring it.

If the sensor has 4x the area then it must be twice the dimensions. That would halve the effective focal length unless the lens was twice the actual focal length. This would have to be a much bigger camera than a P900, but it's an interesting development. I would have thought this would eat into their DSLR and lens sales, but maybe they're hoping to eat into Canon's at well.

I took a few more pictures today but no new developments. May take a few more tomorrow before the clouds roll in but losing interest in giving the SX60 any more chances to beat the SX50. I don't think it can and handheld is just too difficult.

All but certain i will send the SX60 back.

If the sensor has 4x the area then it must be twice the dimensions. That would halve the effective focal length unless the lens was twice the actual focal length. This would have to be a much bigger camera than a P900, but it's an interesting development. I would have thought this would eat into their DSLR and lens sales, but maybe they're hoping to eat into Canon's at well.

The article says 210-322mm for the lens length, so it is big.
Don't know if the size can be reduced with aggressive use of modern glass. The patent drawing shows 18 elements in 5 groups, not something easy to make or lightweight as is.
It would be a pricey camera, but it might open an entirely new market niche. I don't think anyone offers a 2000mm lens for DSLRs.

Different. Both at their own max. But the point is to use the thing at the max and if it can't beat the SX50 then there is no point keeping it.

I'd still be interested in how it goes at the max focal length of the SX50. If it behaves well then you're left with the improved EVF.

The article says 210-322mm for the lens length, so it is big.
Don't know if the size can be reduced with aggressive use of modern glass. The patent drawing shows 18 elements in 5 groups, not something easy to make or lightweight as is.
It would be a pricey camera, but it might open an entirely new market niche. I don't think anyone offers a 2000mm lens for DSLRs.

The 70-300mm lens which I presently use consists of 16 elements in 10 groups, weighs (camera + lens) 900g and is 230mm long, fully extended. So there is a chance that such a camera would be easier to handle than, say, the Sigma 150-600 Sports mounted via FT-1 adapter on a Nikon1 camera.

But most people who tried such a super-tele say that it is hard to handle and the magnification beyond 400mm also costs IQ. For birds in flight it's overkill anyway. The development of such a camera would require lots of work. And we remember all these delays at Nikon with the P900 and now the DL series.

So it seems to me that Canon's SX70 is a much more "realistic" rumour. The person who posted the video on December 8 (to which I linked above) has yesterday added a comment:
only for testing nd will come soon
"Will come soon" is music in my ears.

I'd still be interested in how it goes at the max focal length of the SX50. If it behaves well then you're left with the improved EVF.

Near as I can tell I can't set the display to actually tell me the focal length when I'm shooting. I had to try to approximate and go back and forth to have the SX60 at about the same field of view as the SX50.

These 5 photos are the SX60 and were my closest and were 171mm vs the SX50 at 215mm

SX60 at 171mm + the 2x teleconverter.

Once again I believe that I tried my best here. I was paying a lot of attention to try to get the aluminum cap just above the focus rectangle. If there has been a bird it would all have been a distraction from watching the bird.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 42
Here are 5 in a series with the SX50 at 215mm +2x teleconverter.

And it was so much less effort.

Attachments

• IMG_7620.JPG
    IMG_7620.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7621.JPG
    IMG_7621.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7622.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7623.JPG