• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P900 replacement rumor (2 Viewers)

nikonmike

One of the expected four cameras will be a replacement for the Nikon Coolpix P900 and it will feature a monster 125x zoom or 24-3000mm equivalent (the current P900 "only" has a 83x zoom)

Personally I'd settle for less reach (1200-1400 equivalent would be fine), and rather have features such as RAW capability, 4K video, and a viewfinder more akin to those found on 1-inch sensor superzooms (2.4 million dot 0.4 inch as opposed to 921k dot 0.2 inch).

The Nikon B700 shoots RAW and 4K video, but dropped the ball having low max ISO (3200 vs. 6400/12800) settings, slower lens at wide (F3.3 vs. F2.8) and less capable continuous shooting (5fps vs. 7fps).

The Panasonic FZ80/82 has RAW support, shoots 4K, has a touch screen, slightly higher sensor resolution, slightly better viewfinder and LCD display, and the clever innovations of post-shot focus and focus stacking. Unfortunately they also stuck it with a fixed screen instead of articulating, and reviews have rated the optics as decent but not great.

I'm still looking to replace my trusty Canon SX40 in a few months or so, so we'll have to see whether any new bridge cameras are announced.

Last edited:
The Sony RX10iii has a decent viewfinder, a one inch sensor, 4K video, RAW capability, and fabulous Zeiss optics. The zoom is up to 600 with a couple of ways of doubling up.

Its about twice the weight of my old SX50 and five times the cost, but the images are truly terrific. It's still a bridge camera but its really pushing the boundary. You can find a few pix here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328256

Cheers
Mike

The rumor has surfaced again about a replacement with a zoom to 3000mm, i guess it will have the B700 sensor and shoot raw.
Wonder if they will add the AFC ability they devolved for the DL24-500 and never used.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the sensor in the B700 vs what is in the P900? They look to be the same size but the B700 has more pixels (21.14 vs 16.76). Is that proven to be good in the B700? Sometimes to many pixels in a small sensor results in more noise.

The B700 is listed to do 4K video so I take it that is one advantage.

Can one see improvements in an image from a B700 vs a P900 all settings being equal?

Wow, 3000mm, that is amazing if they can keep it stable. The P900 shows a lens speed of F2.8 - F6.5. Any idea of what it will be for a 3000mm?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the sensor in the B700 vs what is in the P900? They look to be the same size but the B700 has more pixels (21.14 vs 16.76). Is that proven to be good in the B700? Sometimes to many pixels in a small sensor results in more noise.

The B700 is listed to do 4K video so I take it that is one advantage.

Can one see improvements in an image from a B700 vs a P900 all settings being equal?

Wow, 3000mm, that is amazing if they can keep it stable. The P900 shows a lens speed of F2.8 - F6.5. Any idea of what it will be for a 3000mm?

Both cameras do have the same size sensor,your observations on the differences are correct.
After owning the P610 and then the P900 and although i shoot raw with my D500 i would not consider lack of raw a deal breaker on these cameras.
Nikon have done a great job with the on-board processing and i found most images needed very little tweaking.
I foolishly sold my P900 and am looking for another,the rumored replacement sounds good but for what the price may be knowing Nikon i dont consider the rumored extras worth it (if you want 4k that may be different).
The main reason ime hanging on is not the raw or the greater zoom range,(it may not be 3000mm it depends on how wide they start it).
I live in hope they will add a focus system that can cope with BIF ect and a manual zoom ring.
Just to show you what a P900 can do i include some shots,very little PP on the birds but quiet a lot on the backgrounds ect to remove distractions.

Attachments

• re edit 72.jpg
    re edit 72.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 423
  • re edit 9.jpg
    re edit 9.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 365
  • re edit 1.jpg
    re edit 1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 399
  • re edit 4.jpg
    re edit 4.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 326
Mike ..... Thanks for the reply. If the only significant benefit of the B700 sensor is the 4K video, then I am fine with what I have in my P900 as I do not do video. I do not have the desire or the creative skill to do all the post editing of sound, transitions, graphics, etc to produce a good quality video. Still photos work for me.

A 3000mm lens sounds appealing if it can be stabilized and is still fast enough. Sometimes it would nice to have a little more reach when photographing small birds.

Those are some nice photos with good sharpness of the birds. Where those taken hand held (with the stabilization on) or were you braced or using a tripod?

Both cameras do have the same size sensor,your observations on the differences are correct.......
I live in hope they will add a focus system that can cope with BIF ect and a manual zoom ring.....

I'll second the above and add a brighter better EVF please!

Dave

Mike ..... Thanks for the reply. If the only significant benefit of the B700 sensor is the 4K video, then I am fine with what I have in my P900 as I do not do video. I do not have the desire or the creative skill to do all the post editing of sound, transitions, graphics, etc to produce a good quality video. Still photos work for me.

A 3000mm lens sounds appealing if it can be stabilized and is still fast enough. Sometimes it would nice to have a little more reach when photographing small birds.

Those are some nice photos with good sharpness of the birds. Where those taken hand held (with the stabilization on) or were you braced or using a tripod?

Thanks all i can say is most of my shots where hand held,a few resting on a V bracket on top of a monopod.
In the end i found with a short burst of shots and i could do just as well hand held.

The rumors have picked up again for a replacement,they say the downside could be it was going to be built in the Chinese factory Nikon just closed, also still talk of a red dot finder to go with it.

Personally though, I'd love for the 1-inch sensor superzooms to keep developing to a point where they can hit close to 1000mm equivalent, though the lens on that would be truly massive.

Me too although having hefted a very large 500mm lens on a DSLR today, massive is a relative term and such a lens would remain far smaller than the behemoths some folk cart around.

The rumors have picked up again for a replacement,they say the downside could be it was going to be built in the Chinese factory Nikon just closed, also still talk of a red dot finder to go with it.

Mike,

What is a red dot finder?

Thanks.

Thanks Mike. Interesting idea. I can see the potential for following birds in flight. So basically the P900 replacement would need a hot shoe to have a place to attach the Red Dot accessory?

Thanks Mike. Interesting idea. I can see the potential for following birds in flight. So basically the P900 replacement would need a hot shoe to have a place to attach the Red Dot accessory?

Yes but remember its Nikon it could have a one of fitting ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back