• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards (1 Viewer)

Leakey

Whilst holidaying in North Wales during July and August I came across some birds which i was seeing regular, most of my photos turned out to be common buzzards but these looked different, showing them to a friend he said they could be Honey Buzzards.
There were two birds there not sure if they are both in these shots or just the one bird , any help much appreciated

Attachments

• Dads Photos 033.JPG
    Dads Photos 033.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 492
  • Dads Photos 086.JPG
    Dads Photos 086.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 348
  • Dads Photos 088.JPG
    Dads Photos 088.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 318
Of course 1st image is a very nice Honey. I'm thinking the 2nd image also shows Honey-buzzard. Looks quite Common-like in general shape, but tail seems to have at least one basal band visible. There is at least one Honey variant that looks particularly Buteo-like, with a ventrum that looks fairly plain brownish at distance (but closer is barred/scalloped as in most Honeys), and relatively inconspicuous barring on underwing. This seems to be one of those.

I wouldn't like to say for sure which species is in the 3rd image. Could perhaps be same bird as in 2nd image. Zooming in, the bird seems to be holding a yellowish object that could conceivably be a comb from a wasp nest - or it could be something entirely different! Are there more images?

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
Leakey, I think I have been watching the same birds, as others have said in the past please don't give out the location. Not only is there the threat from eggers, you may inadvertently give the game away to so called experts who will load them up with a transmitter never to be seen again. As was the case with a female at one site I used to look at. Great birds to watch, did you see them wingclapping

Couple of phots from another site in North wales

Attachments

• P1020439.JPG
    P1020439.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 172
  • P1020442.JPG
    P1020442.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 151
Nice Honey Buzzard shots.. could you pm me the location so I can pass it on to Steve Roberts, who is the 'Honey Buzzard' man in south Wales in particular, but Wales as a whole. Thanks.

Nice Honey Buzzard shots.. could you pm me the location so I can pass it on to Steve Roberts, who is the 'Honey Buzzard' man in south Wales in particular, but Wales as a whole. Thanks.

LeakeyI wouldn't give him the time of day, one female tagged up this way didn't make it back neither did a male tagged down south, not a very good return for such a small population .Perhaps its time people left them alone

LeakeyI wouldn't give him the time of day, one female tagged up this way didn't make it back neither did a male tagged down south, not a very good return for such a small population .Perhaps its time people left them alone

I respect what you're saying, as no one knows each other from Adam on here, and details, particularly of rare birds such as the Honey Buzzard should not be given out lightly. Record it to the local bird recorder (where ever this photo was taken.)

Also, the tagging has got nothing to do with the birds not returning - this is what is need in this day and age to conserve these birds.

Also, the tagging has got nothing to do with the birds not returning - this is what is need in this day and age to conserve these birds.

Hmm...? First part of your sentence makes quite a bold claim, and one that (although persuasively defended on a statistical basis by taggers) would be hard to prove in any particular case. I'd be first to agree that satellite-tagging and colour ringing have been vital in developing the current picture of Honey-buzzard biology, particularly as used in the long-term studies in The Netherlands and elsewhere in continental Europe. But, despite potential uses in a PR context, I'm not at all convinced by the need to interfere at this level with the still small, dispersed and fluctuating UK population. Just how exactly would it contribute to their conservation? Simplistically, what they need are nesting woods and productive foraging habitats without the levels of disturbance now evident in many areas, lots of luck in migration, and the ability to survive outside the breeding season in the diminishing forest habitats of west and central Africa. Even then, it may be that the British Isles are just a bit too much on the edge of their continental core breeding range.
Brian

A little late but I have only just seen this post. I can only agree with Bancone , boyh the first two images are homey bussards. Hard to be sure about the third photo. I would only pass on the information to someone you know who is involved with hiney buzzard conservation. Perhaps the honey buzzards best defence against disturbance and egg colectors is their shyness and secret nature while breeding. Contary to what I have read honey buzzards my local are very susceptable to even low levels of disturbance during incubation , but once the young have hatched its a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back