• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haweswater Sad News (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
Thought this deserved a thread of its own. I for one will miss seeing him.

"Sadly nothing has been seen of the Golden Eagle since Storm Desmond in early
December. I do know that a volunteer spent a week recently at Haweswater
searching without success. He has either moved on or perished, but the hope
is he has moved to Scotland to find love"

After a visit earlier this season and no sightings I contact RSPB Cumbria, above was their reply.

Sad news indeed,we can only hope he has popped over the Solway for a bit of Eagle loving. Looks like we will have to go to Scotland for any Eagle fixes.Are Eagles still present in the Galloway forest area still ?

Pretty heartbreaking this, despite the annual winter rumours of him not being seen for a while this is the first time that the wardens seem to be fearing the worst.
We will be up there over the next few days to try and see what we can see, although it will be in fear more than expectation.
Just can't imagine the valley not being occupied, a crying shame, anyway will post if any more news
Cheers

Paul

Twenty years or more in one valley and then suddenly he's gone to Scotland? I'm sad if he's dead as well, but let's knock it off with the Disney fantasies, please.

John

I have to agree with you John - why move now after all these years? It may not be what we want to hear but its demise must be the most likely outcome.

Twenty years or more in one valley and then suddenly he's gone to Scotland? I'm sad if he's dead as well, but let's knock it off with the Disney fantasies, please.

John[/QUOTE

Yeah, I'm afraid this is delusional, he had his territory and would've left long before now.
Is a shame that that other pair of "Eagles" that were spotted last year there didn't hang around.......ahem.

Is a shame that that other pair of "Eagles" that were spotted last year there didn't hang around.......ahem.

Surely there's still some Buzzards there? ;)

If they've gone too, then I'd suspect foul play (not that that can be discounted anyway)

Oh yes, still plenty of Buzzards about.....

On a serious note, the proposed reintroduction scheme in the borders/Dumfries and Galloway etc would appear to have come too late perhaps for the lakes?
Regardless of the breeding situation, as an ambassador for his species, he did a great job.
A real shame.

Fortunate enough to visit 40 years ago when we had a breeding pair and several immature eagles in the area. Also plenty of Ring Ouzels, Pied Flycatchers etc... Perhaps its the rose tinted specs but I remember Riggindale as being far more wild back then with the remains of sheep and dead lambs being relatively common. In recent years it appears the area has changed from hill farming to an outdoor activity centre. Very sad news if as suspected the Golden Eagle is now extinct in England.

Climare change get a grip John wasnt it el nino that was causing storms. Maybe a turbine took him out if we are dealing with unproved theories

How old was he, I thought he was not particularly old? He was classed as a young adult when I saw him perhaps 4 years ago, aged maybe 10?

They are known to live up to 30 years.

Yes he probably has perished, but it is not that implausible that he has moved on. But yes after all that time, it seems unlikely.

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-26856814

So, around 20 years old.

And to paraphrase the aircraft photography forum I frequent, "Blue Skies, old boy!"

As for the storm and the cause, I agree in general the weather in the Atlantic this winter is the overthrow from El Nino in the Pacific: but I also agree with the contention that weather in general is more extreme as a result of climate change, so El Nino this year is more violent than might have been expected.

ATB

John

so sad to hear, even though it's been inevitable for a while now. i got this response from the RSPB view twitter today ...

"
We are becoming increasingly concerned about England’s last remaining golden eagle at Haweswater in the North Lakes as he has yet to be seen this spring. At this time of year, we would expect to see him nest building and displaying in an attempt to attract a mate.
However, it’s possible he is hunting in the adjoining valleys and we’re still hoping he’ll return soon. As a result, we are continuing to look for him and will be opening our eagle viewpoint at Riggindale each weekend in April.
The male golden eagle has been resident at Haweswater since late 2001and has been alone since 2004, following the death of the female."

So, around 20 years old.

And to paraphrase the aircraft photography forum I frequent, "Blue Skies, old boy!"

As for the storm and the cause, I agree in general the weather in the Atlantic this winter is the overthrow from El Nino in the Pacific: but I also agree with the contention that weather in general is more extreme as a result of climate change, so El Nino this year is more violent than might have been expected.

ATB

John[
So wheres the evidence pointing to more extreme weather. Has it happened for over thirty years( climate) or is it just weather. Im pretty sure we have always had this mix of unpridictable weather.
Just shows the lengths some people go to to link anything and everything to climate change ... global warming as was until the earth actually stopped warming 16 plus years ago.
T

So, around 20 years old.

ATB

John[
So wheres the evidence pointing to more extreme weather. Has it happened for over thirty years( climate) or is it just weather. Im pretty sure we have always had this mix of unpridictable weather.
Just shows the lengths some people go to to link anything and everything to climate change ... global warming as was until the earth actually stopped warming 16 plus years ago.
T

Well, you write like an open-minded individual.... there are several threads on this stuff on BF and plenty of literature elsewhere, so I'm not going to argue it on what should be the valediction of the last Lake District Golden Eagle.

And a wealth of posts on here show that I don't spend my life linking everything to climate change - but I do believe in it, not least because I have watched the changes over the last fifty years: and I think it sad that (if) human folly has been ultimately responsible for this magnificent and relatively accessible bird's demise.

Good birding,

John

Fortunate enough to visit 40 years ago when we had a breeding pair and several immature eagles in the area. Also plenty of Ring Ouzels, Pied Flycatchers etc... Perhaps its the rose tinted specs but I remember Riggindale as being far more wild back then with the remains of sheep and dead lambs being relatively common. In recent years it appears the area has changed from hill farming to an outdoor activity centre. Very sad news if as suspected the Golden Eagle is now extinct in England.
As someone who lives on the edge of the Lakes your post strikes a note.
There is a lot of good work being done on the fringes Just locally a new wetland has been created, as well as a mini Foulshaw Moss raised bog habitat.There has been a notable increase of trees being planted on the fells.
Only a few miles away Foulshaw Moss has been improved dramatically and the Ospreys are breeding here regularly.
I know of several fringe valleys where the thronging masses never visit .There are great examples of rewilding or the habitats are still in tact already.I don't advertise them, as enough places have been ruined already.
I seldom if ever venture beyond the fringes as so many places in the heart of the Lakes are overrun with fell runners,fell walkers,dog walkers,outdoor pursuit groups,Army training parties,endless lines of school parties and mountain bikers.
The Open Spaces Society and other busy bodies have a lot to answer for.
They resist any attempt to fence off some areas on the fells as they want to be able to roam wherever they like.
I know this because they are constantly blathering on in the local press, objecting to schemes to fence off and rewild.
When I have suggested fencing off even small areas Natural England tell me it would be more hassle than it is worth.
Compare this with my visit to the Porto Conte Natural Park in Sardinia last year.Huge areas had been fenced off,the habitats were being managed and the birdlife was overwhelming.
Even Lanzarote is ahead of the game.They control entry and exit into the Timfanya National Park and only accredited coaches are allowed to proceed through the volcano route.Even then the passengers are not allowed to hop on and off then wander around willy-nilly.
Try to impose restrictions like that,in the Lakes and just wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth to begin!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back