• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windproof Fleece (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

My only previous experience of these is they have the breathability of a bin liner and any exertion results in you becoming soaked from inside the jacket. Just wondering if technology has moved on in recent times.
I know I can always use a windproof outer but it's less of a faff to be able to wear just a single item. Alternatively do I just go out school and get a heavyweight shearling type fleece. Similarly don't want to go too technical and want something that will work chucked over "normal" clothing for an unplanned visit to the great outdoors

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Got to work out what you want from it

Warmth
Waterproof
Wind proof

A lot of investment goes into golf products, skiing and now cycling. I think they provide the best route for finding equipment although cycling probably least practical for other sports. I say that because they are more active designs than ‘walking’ so tend to accommodate, I’d like to say, my lifestyle.. golf products tend to be lighter and packable and allow freedom of movement, skiing warmer but heavier but less waterproof (cheaper products only waterproof to 3,000/5,000). Walking products tend to have a longer back...

I have arc’teryx jacket which is my warmest and is comfy but use an adidas golf products for rain and wind.

My only previous experience of these is they have the breathability of a bin liner and any exertion results in you becoming soaked from inside the jacket. Just wondering if technology has moved on in recent times.
I know I can always use a windproof outer but it's less of a faff to be able to wear just a single item. Alternatively do I just go out school and get a heavyweight shearling type fleece. Similarly don't want to go too technical and want something that will work chucked over "normal" clothing for an unplanned visit to the great outdoors

??

Pretty simple .... get whatever weight fleece jacket you need with Gortex lining - known as WINDSTOPPER. Ultimately it doesn't matter if you get the genuine Gortex, or some similar technology (membrane layer which has 'hole' structure that is sized to be water proof but will still wick moisture through it via mass transportation across the phase boundary). Make sure you get this membrane layer - exercise in futility otherwise. You should have no problems whatsoever with sweating.

It's Gortex or freeze.

You can also combine these with thermal (polypropylene etc) under layers, and/or Gortex outer shell layers if you need waterproofness against driving rain etc.

If you need more warmth than this then add a wool, or down layer between fleece and shell.

You also want Gortex membrane gloves and beanies. Boots too.

You won't ever look back.

NB ! If you ever need to wash any of these make sure you use a fine water egress filter on your washing machine as these garments will shed microplastics. They will even shed them to the atmosphere through wear, but I don't know what the answer is there. Invest in the best gear you can get and look after it and it will last you decades. :t:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks for confirming the technology has improved. I'll have a search around for something suitable

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back