• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New behavior{for Me} Today (1 Viewer)

tsiya

I parked by a retention pond at a local shopping center today, to eat My burrito, and there was a Snowy Egret that would scan the water for a while, then fly out with feet dragging the surface, and snatch up something edible. It would then go back to the starting point, and repeat. I got a few shots, could not get close enough for good stuff, will post pics if anyone insists, but all My experience with Snowies has been wading and grabbing, not feeding on the fly like a Skimmer. Have I discovered the great innovater of all Snowy Egrets, or have You seen them do this in Your pond? tsiya :h?:

tsiya,
Check out if it is roosting near an Osprey :cool:
Kind of reminds me of my recent fly-catching Ani post.
Maybe it's just peer pressure :cool:
Would love to see a photo of this.

I took 3 shots, not much quality to any of them, I will try to find a way to get better photos. This is in the pond behind the Big Lots store in St. Augustine if any of You other Swampers want to give it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back