• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Staines Resv and Staines Moor by public transport (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi

I am planning to go to Staines Reservoir tomorrow by public transport from North London tomorrow. Am I right to think that the best way will be tube to Hatton Cross then a bus to Stanwell Happy Landing? Does anyone know how much this will cost?

Also how far is it too walk to Staines Moor from here? What is the best way of doing it as it looks difficult on google maps?

Many thanks in advance,

Oliver

Not quite sure of how to get there in the first place, but walking between the two is simple enough.

From the Reservoir, come off the western end of the causeway and turn right. Walk up the road towards the end of the reservoir and take a footpath off to the left (just before some traffic lights). Follow this path some way (partially entering a housing estate on the way), and then take a path off the right through a kissing gate to get onto the Moor proper. Once it opens out, this path goes alongside the river Colne where the Water Pipit often are.

Hi Oliver,

Not sure what help I can offer here as I have never visited by public transport. However, If Stanwell Happy Landing takes you to near the east end of Staines causeway, that is a good start. The causeway is about 1Km across and to get to Staines Moor, you have anothe 1.5KM to go! If you are after Water Pipits, they are most reliable at the southern (A30) end of the moor.

I hope someone can help you more!

Thanks Sean and Robin, that is really helpful. Looks like I'll buy a one way bus ticket then see where I end up and how to get back from there as it seems a bit far to walk all the way back to Stanwell Happy Landing from the far south end of the moor.

Oliver
If you are taking the bus to the Happy Landing you just as well stay on a couple of extra stops along Clare Road and get off opposite St Anns Avenue. Staines Res will be right in front of you, the entrance will be a couple of hundred yards to your right.
As for the moor there is a regular bus service from Stanwell Moor, Hithermoor Road which should take you back to the airport and you can pick up the tube from there (if you can find the old Brown Shrike thread I am sure it mentioned the route number but I cannot remember off the top of my head).
Tony

Thanks for all the help. I had a really good day with a superb Summer plumaged Water pipit as the highlight. Also Drake Scaup, 3 Black-Necked Grebe, Shag, 4 Shelduck, Redshank, Fieldfare, Skylark and a bizarre leucistic Linnet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back