• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like to see an updated 85mm ATS/STS ? (1 Viewer)

Torview

I have to say I`m delighted with my ats65hd with the 25-50, I sometimes think about getting the 80mm version for a little advantage in low light but I`m not sure its worth the expense, however I could be tempted if Swaro was to offer an 85 or even 88mm version for those of us who have the excellent 25-50 ep, is it possible to offer a larger model that would work with this ep ?

I really have no interest in the ATX line, it seems like a solution to a problem no one really had to me, and they look really expensive next to the Kowa 883.

Not really, and I'm sure Swarovski have no plans to increase the range of what has been a flagship telescope success across the globe for twenty years. The ATX is the latest in the companys' new products - perhaps a 55mm objective was one size too many.
My ATS 65 HD with a x30WW was the best combination for me.

Ok, shame though, I`d have thought there`s a lot of life left in the range with an increase in objective size, 80mm is`nt that competitive in 2019.

Ok, shame though, I`d have thought there`s a lot of life left in the range with an increase in objective size, 80mm is`nt that competitive in 2019.

The ATS scopes have a good balance between price, weight and performance.
I think that's the main point with the ATS series.
It might also be the reason for that I still see a lot of them used in the field around here.
Some have upgraded to the ATX of course but it's mostly the gear heads. ;)

I guess you could say that the ATS scopes still can "compete" and they do.
Or did something significant happen from 2018 to 2019 I did miss?
:-O

Last edited:
I don't think Swarovski are going to compete internally with the ATX/STX. That's the reason they discontinued the ATM/STM with Magnesium alloy bodies and reintroduced the Aluminium ATS/STS, when the ATX/STX came on the market.

What would an 85 mm ATS/STS offer? The focal ratio of f/5,75 of the 80 mm scopes is already quite "fast" so the 85 mm version would need a longer focal length giving magnifications of 26,5-53. Its resolution might be a little better but most users would need magnifications in excess of 80x under test conditions to see any difference.

In the field the exit pupil is often the limiting factor. Anything much under 2,5 mm is going to result in a loss of brightness. That would mean 32x on the 80 mm scope and 34x on the 85 mm. I don't think the additional weight and expense could really justify this marginal advantage.

If it's of any reassurance to you, I bought a Kowa 883 with the intention of replacing my ATM 65HD. In practice though the ATM 65 serves me almost as well with the benefit of better portability, so I'm keeping it. Both btw are cherries (1,41" and 1,78").

John

Very good points, I think maybe if an 80mm ATM comes up at a good price that may well be the ideal for me, one minor issue I find with the 65 is its a bit back heavy on the tripod.

Very good points, I think maybe if an 80mm ATM comes up at a good price that may well be the ideal for me, one minor issue I find with the 65 is its a bit back heavy on the tripod.

Don't forget that the earlier ATS/STS and ATM/STM scopes also came in non-HD versions - not to be recommended for the 80 mm scopes. The Magnesium bodies btw were only 110-120 g lighter than the Aluminium versions.

What tripod head are you using? I have a Berlebach 552 (now 553), which is Arca Swiss compatible. Berlebach modified a 117 mm plate at no extra charge to fit the ATM65HD and it can now be perfectly balanced.

John

I use the Swarovski CT101/VH101 seems to work very well.

There are probably no plate options for that. The new Swarovski CTH head is Arca Swiss compatible, which would allow the use of a long rearward extending plate to balance the scope.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back