• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (2 Viewers)

Did a couple of Atlas TTV's in gloomy sub zero weather this afternoon and highlight was chatting to a farmer who showed me a very fast asleep Barn Owl in an old outbuilding, other highlights included Dippers, Goosanders, Grey wagtails and a super litlle bunch of 6 Bullfinch.

A great way to end 2008.

Wishing everyone all the best for 2009

Stewart B :)

My bird of the day had to be the Antillean Crested Hummingbird. Well, maybe not, maybe the Green-throated Carib, or the Bananaquit. Oh, I shouldn’t rule out the Lesser Antillean Bullfinch or the Tropical Mockingbird and how could I forget the Gray Kingbird? ;) Sorry far the smartassisum guys.3:) I couldn’t help it when I saw this thread out in the open after the day I've had. What a place! I only walked around the outskirts of the marina today. I can’t wait to get to the rain forest. My target bird there will be the St. Lucia Parrot.All these strange and beautiful birds almost makes crossing the Atlantic in a smal boat worth it!

Nice pair of Goldfinches flitting about. Also spotted 6 Long-eared owls in 2 bushes.

A bald eagle. My second one in less than a week and second ever. However, this was is even more special because I spotted it only a few miles from my home and bald eagles are uncommon here.

Saw my first Green Winged Teal at the Christmas Bird Count in the Wichita Mountains near Lawton, Oklahoma (SW corner of the state). This is the most beautiful green with tan. I was able to see it up close through a scope on a beautiful sunny day. It is on the same level as a Western Grebe in my opinion.

My bird of the day was a White-winged Crossbill. I bird not very often encountered here in Missouri! It was in a birding friend's backyard at a heated water feature here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.

My bird of today would have to be Chaffinch. Not all that special, but most here migrate south so this is the first I've ever seen in winter.

Our local KF who flew up the river,and perched on the bridge,as I was at the opp end taking shots of a Turnstone.All I managed was tiny orange blob,but it was great to see him.Also a goldcrest hopped out from under a gorse bush but very quickly disappeared under another bush.The 1st time I have seen one here in the village.

My bird of the day today was a PRAIRIE FALCON seen perched high in a tree near a large expanse of open land (harvested crop fields), Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Also, got to show yesterday's bird of the day, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, to a birding friend from Chillicothe, Missouri.

Went out for my first proper birding session in years today, and was quite surprised at the different things I saw. Best thing today was probably a Kingfisher that I saw at Chigborough Fishery just outside of Heybridge in Essex.

Kingfisher is a good one Rob, always special to see one.

My BOTD was a Common Buzzard being harried by two Carrion Crows, seen overhead on a walk near work at lunchtime.

Today i went for a walk around Freiston shore and spotted my first Kingfisher and Yellowhammer along with a long list of other birds. What an excellent day
:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back