• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bought 1st scope, where to find cheap tripod? (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

I bought one of the Bressler 15-45x60 spotting scopes mentioned on this board and realize the camera tripod won't fit so need to buy a small tripod. Where can I find an inexpensive and simple stand to get me started with my first scope? And, what do I need to look for to make sure it fits and attaches properly? Besides the camera tripod, I've never owned or used a spotter. See below for tripod that I own in case it can be used. I think shorter is better for me but some ability to extend is of interest

Last edited:
Unless this one can be made to work easily

Not sure if this one can be modified to work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 64
The quick release plate seems to be missing.

Is it on your camera?
Without it it won't work.

Charity shops have tripods, but you must get the qrp.

tealboy,

I posted some tripold suggestions over on the spotter thread in the spotting scope forum. Not sure if that is inexpensive enough for you but I hesitate to recommend anything much less as there seems to be stability issues with the ultralight and ultra inexpensive tripods paired with a spotting scope.

You need a decent tripod with a scope. if there is any wind a cheap tripod will mean it's pointless having a scope!
Especially if you are doing seawatching.

Cheers

You need a decent tripod with a scope. if there is any wind a cheap tripod will mean it's pointless having a scope!
Especially if you are doing seawatching.

Cheers

Indeed....or at high power!

One I have bought often, at local surplus optic shops
or at EBay, is the Sony VCT-20a:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...t-20a.TRS0&_nkw=tripod+sony++vct-20a&_sacat=0

Works well for 60mm or smaller spotters.
I use it for 400mm/f/8 (63mm) telephoto->spotter conversions
and the Celestron Travelscope - 70 (wonderful richfield scope
with a horrible tripod included)... the Sony usually just needs a cleaning.
They sold millions for the zoom VCR recorders of the 70s and 80s.
There must be an equivalent for the UK.

Other that that, the most expensive tripods ($40-50 at the local
Target or Walmart in NewEngland) at the cheapo stores can do well...

It's the $12-$25 units that make life horrible for a spotter...

Last edited:
tealboy1,
That is quite amusing.

P.S.
If you hang a thick sock or bag filled with pebbles or sand from beneath the top centre of the tripod it will be more stable.

Last edited:
I see a lot of old tripods where the camera shoe is lost.
It's nice to see one being found!

If it's still too jiggly at 40-60x, you might want a
burlier tripod. It does look a little spindly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back