Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Accommodation Perth

Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 10:41   #1
Goyter

Accommodation Perth

Hi
Planning a trip to Aus in October which includes a few days in Perth
Can anyone recommend 'birdy' accommodation - I don't really want to stay in the city
Also any reliable guides for a day
Thanks
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 12:12   #2
mjh73

Not many guides around Perth itself as it's not really a bird-y hotspot per se.

Most locals (and many visitors) head a few hours further to the South West corner of WA where you can pick up some cool endemics. Too far as a day trip from Perth though.

That said there are a few good spots around Perth, I can help you out with some locations that should be do-able without the need for a guide if you like.

On accomodation. From a purely personal point of view Fremantle is half an hour out of Perth on the train and a stunning small town. Great brewery on the harbour front :) Not many birds though beyond silver gulls!
In Perth itself anything near Kings Park would be good - this is a large urban park, but if you base yourself near it an early morning walk or two especially in some of the less manicured areas of the park, should throw up some good birds.

Owner Acanthiza Ornithology - Thornbill Tours
www.acanthiza.com.au

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 12:18   #3
mjh73

Just spotted Peter Taylor does offer a Perth day tour, although most of his tours are further afield http://www.birdingsw.com.au/tours

I don't know Peter but he's we'll regarded by the folks out west.

Owner Acanthiza Ornithology - Thornbill Tours
www.acanthiza.com.au

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 16:39   #4
Nohatch
Mad scientist

I recommend getting in touch with the local birders via BirdingPal. I was shown around by one (Ms Athena Georgiou) and had a great day with lots of good birds. We did Victoria Reservoir for SW forest endemics (Firetail, Spinebill, Yellow Robin etc) then Herdsman Lake for a good diversity of waterfowl. I've been told Dryandra is excellent, and of course the areas further afield (Fitzgerald River NP, Albany) which take a few days to do really.
Starting off in Kings Park is highly recommended if it's your first visit to OZ and you need to get into the new species and families; plus it's gorgeous and walking distance from central Perth. If you base yourself in much prettier Fremantle then you can hop on a quick train to Elizabeth Quay & frequent buses around the city. Oh and I enthusiastically second Mike's recommendation for the Little Creatures brewery!

Have a great trip!
Joost
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: