• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

poss day flying moth? Syria (1 Viewer)

jogresh

Bimble and patch
I had a poss day flying moth in an area of extensive mountainous Mediterranean coniferous forest in Syria (Al Fronloq), they were in the open along rides and firebreaks. It was towards the end of April and daytime temps were getting into the low 20's deg C. At the time i was convinced they were butterflies, but now i'm leaning towards a day flying moth?... You will need to zoom in a bit. TIA.

Attachments

• un ID'd butterfly or moth.jpg
    un ID'd butterfly or moth.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 70
Opening the photo my thoughts were identical to Andy's. Looks very similar to ours- maybe a different sub-species or sibling species? Maybe Martin will know for sure?

It may be a little out of date (and I don't know if there's been a revision) but the NHM card catalogue (LepIndex) lists about a dozen species, with ennomosaria as a junior synonym of himaleyica. This one may be P. syriacata.

A quote from The Geometrid Moths of Europe vol. 5 might be of interest:

"Non-European Pseudopanthera syriacata .... from Middle East is almost identical in wing pattern and coloration".

For me, syriacata still looks a better match - but we will never know for sure.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back