• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Hi Tony and Cath. Now you are talking my language! In this day of satnav and google and co-ordinates it’s so nice to be asked about a map. When we go to the USA we still use maps, you just can’t beat them.
I will get my map out of the car in the morning and let you know.
Mike

Hi Mike. It was a great morning and Susan certainly has good taste.
It was definitely a Black Kite.
It’s a great place for a fabulous variety of species and hundreds of larks and pipits.
I did read that Richard’s pipits used to winter in Mallorca but I’ve yet to see one.
I rather fancy this site will turn up a goodie in the future.
The supercillium on this Golden plover was a bit bright which got me going for a while.

Attachments

• 5B6757F5-3F66-4140-A11C-617B46632E06.jpeg
    5B6757F5-3F66-4140-A11C-617B46632E06.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 57
Not content with our morning out, I couldn’t resist my regular visit to my local lighthouse for an evening seawatch.
I got there at 5pm and as soon as I set my ‘scope up, I could see streams of Balearic shearwaters flying towards Cabrera.
In just under one hour I logged over 1,700 until a gang of riotous youfs started a party right beside me. There are times when I’m glad I’m not young any more.
Also two northern Gannets flew south as well.
Not one Scopoli’s shearwater.
Mike

Attachments

• 8998D2B8-1732-48E8-A8E4-F7583629ADCF.jpg
    8998D2B8-1732-48E8-A8E4-F7583629ADCF.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
A friend brought in a Robin tonight which had sadly been killed by a cat.
It was ringed in Slovenia which I thought was interesting, as are all ringing recoveries.
Mike

Attachments

• A92A9BC7-0CD0-401A-9DD1-45CB23A51B6E.jpeg
    A92A9BC7-0CD0-401A-9DD1-45CB23A51B6E.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 28
We will be over in May and wondered if anyone could kindly recommend a good road map of the island.
Regards
Tony and Cath

Hi Tony

This is the one I like..get them on amazon or ebay

Mike

Attachments

• B6F673B2-D144-461B-ABD7-EFEFC15BCF60.jpg
    B6F673B2-D144-461B-ABD7-EFEFC15BCF60.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 50
The two Mikes, thank you for the help, I will get on the case straight away. Already looking forward to the trip.
Tony and Cath

Decided to check the great Pony site that Mike showed us before heading North.
Good to see Golden Plovers up close and flocks of Sky Larks, Meadow Pipits and Linnets. RedKites, Booted Eagles and Kestrels seen.
As We drove to the Ses Covetes Beach, a Sparrowhawk shot out in front of the car, caught its prey and disappeared back into the wood! Amazing!
Turnstones and Audouin Gulls on the rocks by the beach.
A great weekend

Most of the Red-breasted Mergansers this year have been long-stayers so I guess most people have been able to catch up with them.
I watched one today very close in at Cuitat Jardí. They really are a very smart bird.
Mike

That’s great Tony.
I can thoroughly recommend the map, it is very up to date and shows many sites I didn’t know about so I use mine all the time.
It’s also great for finding specific species so it’s well worth it.
I know they sell it at Albufera and it’s also available online I’m sure.
Mike

I saw my first Balearic Warbler at the Boquer Valley today, thanks everyone for the assistance (back in January!) with where to find them. Also Blue Rock Thrush and Booted Eagle there. Quick look at Albufereta on the way home, was surprised to find 3 Little Ringed Plovers there! Also two Common Sandpipers, Osprey, multiple Marsh Harriers, lots of ducks and LOADS of Chiffchaffs. But sadly no Flamingos...

Excited about coming to Mallorca for the first time in two weeks. It's a family holiday, but should be able to fit in some birding. I have a burning question, which is how long a walk is it roughly, to the Balearic Warbler zone in the Boquer Valley, from the nearest parking area? We'll have a 5 year old with us, so distance and difficulty of the trail could be an issue.

Others have mentioned time to walk to the area and I'd agree with that. When I visited in June 2014 I took a generally relaxed stroll early morning. My photos show I got there at 05:00 and left just after 07:15. I had to walk back to the far end of Puerto Pollensa to get to my hotel for breakfast! It took around 40-45 minutes to get my first sighting of Balearic Warbler.

Attached are some photos of the morning including one that shows what the track is like towards the start and another further in (3rd photo, the track is on the left and not so rocky).

Enjoy your trip, I really enjoyed my visits to Mallorca and had some great birding.

Gi

Attachments

• Bocquer valley entrance.jpg
    Bocquer valley entrance.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Bocquer valley track.jpg
    Bocquer valley track.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Bocquer valley track_1.jpg
    Bocquer valley track_1.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Balearic Warbler.jpg
    Balearic Warbler.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Cirl Bunting.jpg
    Cirl Bunting.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 71
Others have mentioned time to walk to the area and I'd agree with that. When I visited in June 2014 I took a generally relaxed stroll early morning. My photos show I got there at 05:00 and left just after 07:15. I had to walk back to the far end of Puerto Pollensa to get to my hotel for breakfast! It took around 40-45 minutes to get my first sighting of Balearic Warbler.

Attached are some photos of the morning including one that shows what the track is like towards the start and another further in (3rd photo, the track is on the left and not so rocky).

Enjoy your trip, I really enjoyed my visits to Mallorca and had some great birding.

Gi

Thanks Gi, that's great info :t: I'm struggling to see why the warbler isn't a Sardinian though?

From your pics at looks like erosion is still a major issue in the Boquer. When I first went there the path was little more than one person wide - but that was before the huge increase in large walking groups, and before most of the development at the start of the walk.

A great day with Kevin and Geordie Dave to S’Albufera, Depuradora and S’ Amarador.
Usual birds seen included, Night Herons, Cattle Egrets, Red crested Pochards, Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Marsh Harriers, Moustached Warbler, Avocets, Black Winged Stilts, Kentish and Ringed Plover, common Snipe, Greenhank, RedShank, Common, Wood and Green sandpipers etc.

The highlights included Osprey drinking infront of the hide, Swarm of Starlings in the evening light, and stonking views of Male Hen Harrier.

Thanks guys for a memorable day

Mike

Mike

Attachments

• 1DC836A5-F0E5-432F-A675-A21B4D7EE522.jpeg
    1DC836A5-F0E5-432F-A675-A21B4D7EE522.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 27
  • F9308F9A-38BA-4B51-9F91-16EFD4E9E5DA.jpeg
    F9308F9A-38BA-4B51-9F91-16EFD4E9E5DA.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 7C57FFD9-27BA-439A-AD27-11BD6AEE1D12.jpeg
    7C57FFD9-27BA-439A-AD27-11BD6AEE1D12.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 6B074431-045B-48BE-ADEA-291F439130B5.jpeg
    6B074431-045B-48BE-ADEA-291F439130B5.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 57901561-571D-43F1-A0E9-983DBA048FF6.jpeg
    57901561-571D-43F1-A0E9-983DBA048FF6.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 22
Martin. I obviously don’t know as much as the locals and hopefully they will comment, but I have been very shocked by the erosion of the path through the Boquer valley.
Every time I go there I notice just how popular this walk is. Therein lies the dilemma. We want people to be interested in nature and to enjoy the countryside but when they come in their droves, problems begin to arise. I don’t know what the solution is but I do now try to walk other parts of Mallorca rather than the well-worn paths and Boquer is one place I avoid.
Glad you three had a nice day Mike, I wish I had been there with you.
Mike

Apparently the owner of Bocquer Valley threatened to close it because of the erosion. Not sure if this was to get funding or not!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back