• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Culbin Forest raptor (1 Viewer)

PhilCumbria

Was taken from the Hill 99 view tower, at Culbin Forest, Nairn - yesterday 21/02 around 5pm
Camera was set up for taking the landscapes/sunset (which was amazing!)
General feel was that it was much larger than a Buzzard.

Flew in from over the Moray Firth and Findhorn sands.

Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• DSC_0279 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0279 - Copy.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0278 cropped.jpg
    DSC_0278 cropped.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0277 cropped.jpg
    DSC_0277 cropped.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 99
Is that likely though? Size wise was much larger than Harris Hawk

You tell me! So harris hawk should be roughly same size as common buzzard, but I'm not sure how one could judge if it were by itself. My understanding is they're fairly commonly encountered given the number kept by falconers. Am I wrong in thinking you've an idea what it might be yourself?

Most people become less likely to trust the estate of size as they become more experienced

Niels

I doubt it can be conclusively identified from these photos, but I don't get the feel of a big Aquila or a Haliaeetus - more something in the buzzard/harrier size range. Harris Hawk might be a good call as, while it is Common Buzzard sized (if not a bit smaller), it does have a much more "eagle-like" head/bill shape than a CB and I have heard them referred to by falconers as "mini Golden eagles"...

The underwing looks good for male Marsh Harrier but the shape in the third picture looks better for Goshawk. The underwing pattern is consistent between the first and second photos suggesting it isn’t artefact. Doesn’t match hen Harrier or Goshawk on underwing pattern. Odd and probably not 100% identifiable. It’s not a Harris Hawk.

You tell me! So harris hawk should be roughly same size as common buzzard, but I'm not sure how one could judge if it were by itself. My understanding is they're fairly commonly encountered given the number kept by falconers. Am I wrong in thinking you've an idea what it might be yourself?

If I had an idea of what it was I wouldn’t have asked....

I had the idea that it wasn’t a Buzzard based on feel at the time having seen buzzards virtually every day for a number of years.

I asked about likelyhood of Harris Hawk purely based on location of sighting, i.e. not particularly close to where an escapee might roam.

If it was shot early am or late pm, the rufous to the under-wing might be biased towards a low sun, if that’s the case then CBuzzard might be a candidate?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back